Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fear of the sky

Re: Fear of the sky

when i was a lot younger, i had this really nasty helusination.. it involved plains and the sky, and i've never been able to really recover from that.

a lot of times when i'm sitting down, my head's down looking more towards the ground than the sky.

i don't mind looking at stars through a window though. that can actually relax me sometimes

I've had nightmares involving being in the middle of flat open space and trying to grab onto something or spread myself flat on the ground to keep myself from falling in any direction.

A little late to this thread. I have casadastraphobia. I’m looking to get a few casadastraphobics together to compare notes.

Sounds like you're afraid of open space. Me too. I'm not afraid of the sky, but what you describe is similar to the feelings of fearing open spaces.

How are you in large empty rooms? Or walking in fields compared to say a forest?

If you're like me you'll tend to walk by walls or objects that you can touch, and grab.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I didn’t realise someone had posted about this before. After a truly awful time with my anxiety, I started having intrusive thoughts about planets and it just freaked me out a bit (the idea that we live on a rock called Earth and the nature of it all) so I started avoiding tv shows and things that which talked about it, even using Twitter differently because it says location ‘Earth’ when people send tweets now. Then I went out for a cigarette one night and saw the moon and got panicky, so I started putting my hood up when I went outside so couldn’t see the sky, and now I have panic attacks as soon as it gets dark because the moon is ‘out there’ and I just hide away having panic attacks all night, it’s recently escalated to the sky in general, and I don’t know how to get out of it. If go and purposely just stare at it to challenge it, I know what will happen and it will make a bigger deal of it, as I’ve tried just revealing a little bit, and doing things outside and it just escalates the fear, so I just don’t know what to do… I feel so silly, but it's truly destroying me.

Any advice very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLionMan View Post
    I didn’t realise someone had posted about this before. After a truly awful time with my anxiety, I started having intrusive thoughts about planets and it just freaked me out a bit (the idea that we live on a rock called Earth and the nature of it all) so I started avoiding tv shows and things that which talked about it, even using Twitter differently because it says location ‘Earth’ when people send tweets now. Then I went out for a cigarette one night and saw the moon and got panicky, so I started putting my hood up when I went outside so couldn’t see the sky, and now I have panic attacks as soon as it gets dark because the moon is ‘out there’ and I just hide away having panic attacks all night, it’s recently escalated to the sky in general, and I don’t know how to get out of it. If go and purposely just stare at it to challenge it, I know what will happen and it will make a bigger deal of it, as I’ve tried just revealing a little bit, and doing things outside and it just escalates the fear, so I just don’t know what to do… I feel so silly, but it's truly destroying me.

Any advice very welcome.
    I guess it's that sense of intrigue and wondering 'how is all this possible', 'how did this all come into being', etc, and no doubt the 'fear of the unknown', e.g, the thought/fear of some hypothetical 'parallel'/'alternative' universe; none of which as yet is scientifically proven to exist.

Thinking about and imagining such things in-depth can no doubt feel a bit unnerving I guess, but remember nothing out of the ordinary has happened to any of us and we're all still pretty much as we ever were.

I think that’s all it is, I’ve thought about it a bit too deeply, it’s freaked me out and become a bit of a thing, and then I started avoiding it.

It’s the worst thing I’ve ever had in all my years of suffering with anxiety though, truly debilitating.

Do you feel calmer when you can't see the moon? For instance, is it its presence or a daily fear of its existence?

No, I think I’ve got better at handling the thoughts, but I’ve been avoiding the sky in general. If I go outside I put my hood up and try and focus on other things when I’m not.
    It obviously just a manifestation of anxiety / tired mind, but I don’t know how to tackle it. It’s totally controlling me right now. Ideally I would just get on with my life and forget about it, but I can’t when I have to either face the fear or deploy avoidance behaviours 30 odd times a day between going out for cigarettes / tv shows / social media etc.
    I might spend the weekend cutting out all avoidances on tv social media etc and then I have my old therapist that I trust 100% coming round on Monday so I might try and face the big one for a sustained period of time then.
    Last edited by LittleLionMan; 01-03-24 at 10:19.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information