Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B12 Deficiency again

B12 Deficiency again

Hi There
    Repeat blood tests showed my B12 low again, so have to have injections next week and thereafter....

I had this problem about three years ago, but then they stopped giving me the injections saying I didn't need them anymore..... not sure why this happened....

Now I am wondering could this be causing me to be so tired, as I feel tired all the time... just want to stay in bed...mind you am depressed and miserable too so I suppose it all contributes to feeling so yucky...

I don't eat meat, so any suggestions for what I should eat to up B vitamins, am trying hard not to look it up on the internet in case I see something scary.

Re: B12 Deficiency again

hi ive got vit b12 deficincy infact i got my injection friday, it does make you tired very especially when its very low , ive had it for about 4 years now and injections every 3 months i was told to eat lots of fruit and veg to boost it up a bit
    amanda

Humans can only get B12 through animal products:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

B12 deficiency is quite common in vegetarians and vegans.

If you don't want to eat meat, you could get it from dairy products like milk, yogurt and cheese. If you don't want to eat meat or dairy then you'll have to get it from supplements.

I personally believe that it's better to get your nutrients through your food rather than supplements, but if that's what you have to do, then that's what you have to do.

I thing egg's have b12. I don't eat meat so I take a vitamin with b12, b6, calcium, iron and some other stuff in it.
    ya b12 deficiency can be causing all your symptoms.
    i had a calcium deficiency which gave me heart palpitations.

Thanks guys. I will see how I go with the injections. I eat quite a lot of cheese, but worry as my cholestoral is then too high!!
    I've never taken a multi vitamin so maybe I should....

Hi Fairyloveheart,

How low was your B12 (if you don't mind sharing)? I'm just curious as to how low your level has to be before they give you injections....

Thanks!

I'm not sure, they didn't say. It was low, so they retested and then it was lower... I will have a sneaky look at the screen next time to see what it says!

This is wierd ! My niece was just telling me she has to start b12 injections.I said i had never heard of it.Then i come on here and its top of page! Not uncommen then ?

vb12 can also be caused by anaemia, ive not got that and i also eat meat so strange how it affects all really but interesting

Quote Originally Posted by fairyloveheart View Post
    I'm not sure, they didn't say. It was low, so they retested and then it was lower... I will have a sneaky look at the screen next time to see what it says!
    If you do find out, please let me know! I actually insisted that my doctor test my b12 and after a huge argument, they finally sent me. My level was at 290, which I know is not extremely low, but I know that levels between 200-400 can cause phsychological problems such as anxiety and panic. They completely ignored that result and never even mentioned it to me. (Don't worry....since then, I've changed doctors!!)

So I don't know if I should have been getting shots with a level at 290? I think they never discussed this result with me because they knew that I was right - I told them that I wanted the b12 test before I took any medications. They are drug pushers, so they were not happy with me for looking for a natural solution. I've been taking b12 supplements on my own, but they don't seem to do much.

If anybody has any info on how low your level has to be to get shots, please let me know! I'm just curious!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information