Thread: Front Neck Tension

Front Neck Tension

I have read many of the posts regarding neck tension but I still have a couple of questions regarding my particular situation and hope that some of you could help.

I do not have a lot of pain. I have tightness in the front part of my neck especially my right front side muscle and in my jaw (near the corners of my jaw). The tension goes right down to my collar bone. The muscles and nerves (whatever they are) right above my collar bone are quite tense and fairly tender.

At times it feels like the front of my neck feels “crowded” when I look down. The tightness comes and goes and sometimes moves around but never totally leaves. I can sometimes stretch it out if I lift my chin all the way up and stretch my neck. My neck feel really tense and irritated if I've exerted myself a bit. If I bend over and look down, I can feel the "weight" of my neck muscles and jaw like they're hanging.

I do hear crackling and popping noises sometimes when I turn my head and fully open my jaw although I have felt that for years, long before any of this other stuff started. For the most part, my neck feels OK when lying down.

By now as many as 4 different doctors have told me that there are no signs of anything “sinister”. I can begin to believe that this is due to anxiety and the stress I put myself under because I worked myself up pretty good over the last few weeks. My family doctor told me a about 3 weeks ago (before I started “analyzing”) that it looked viral and could take 4 to 6 weeks.

My front neck muscles, especially my right one, is slightly swollen or enflamed. My mother noticed it right away. Has anyone else had noticeable signs that their neck is tense?

To put the question another way, since the neck is a common target for stress and anxiety, can one stress themselves so much that it would cause a real knot, cramp or inflammation in their neck muscle? I think it is yes, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Can anyone relate?

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by MikeH; 27-01-09 at 15:03. Reason: clarification

Re: Front Neck Tension

Hi Mike.

You describe what I am feeling almost exactly. What I can say is it appears to be due to strained or overused muscles and/or tendons in the neck. I am a new mother with a very heavy 7 month old baby who I have been carrying around constantly. I also embarked on a regular weight training regime in the new year to try and help lose some of the baby weight. I knew at the time I was overworking my shoulders and cutting corners by not stretching or warming up before hand but I did it anyway trying to fit a workout in while the baby was napping! Anyway, it was not an immediate sense of pain, its not really pain now....the front and sides of my neck began to tighten up and it felt like my glands were swollen. The doctor said my glands were not swollen and it was likely muscular in nature. What also confused me and not sure if you have experienced this is I have had a constant problem with excess mucus/post nasal drip since this all started at the beginning of February. This part did not make sense until I read about myofascial dysfunction and trigger points which is where tight, knotted muscles can refer pain or discomfort to other areas that don't appear to be related. Apparently if you have strained or tightened the SCMs and/or the scalenes that run down the front and sides of your neck, you can experience sinus issues, ear pulling and aching, balance issues, dizziness, etc. All of this I have experienced. Also as time has gone on , the back of my neck feels so strained and achy like my head just wants to roll forward for relief. My trapezius muscles also have trigger points in them according to my deep muscle therapist and my shoulders naturally want to creep up around my ears and I have to make an effort to relax them all the time. I have had 2 weekly treatments so far and feel very stiff the next day but I think it might be helping. I hope this information helps and maybe sheds some light on things for you. I have had bloodwork done which came back normal and am going for an ultrasound and xray next week just for piece of mind but that's only because I have a history of cancer and needless to say I panic more than I probably should. When you feel the muscles running down your neck do they sometimes feel hard and ropy from the ear to the shoulder? I get relief from this by rubbing deeply down the muscles in circles. It hurts but seems to loosen them for a while. Not sure how long this is all going to go on since I can't stop carrying my baby around so I'm always under the same strain. I hope you are starting to feel better by now. Keep me posted.

As soon as I started reading this I thought "tension". Don't worry about it, there is nothing wrong with you, everything sounds fine -- you can only feel it because you keep thinking about it, not the other way round.

If you suffer migraines or tension headaches, or find yourself grinding your teeth (you might do that in your sleep) I find that that can cause muscular tension in the neck and shoulder area.

Both of you will be fine, your fears are getting the better of you but you are ok and in good health so enjoy it

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

totally true. i saw a dentist and there's evidence of major teeth grinding and jaw locking whilst i sleep. i have to wear a mouth guard now when i sleep. which is AWESOME let me tell u. but ever since i started wearing the little plastic thing, it has helped tremendously. you might want to look into that.. it wreaked havoc on my neck and entire upper body really.
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello Mike,
    I also have this, and am going to get the Dr to have a look as I feel there is Sinus and Ear infection

I am experiencing the same exact thing, neck tension on the right side! I am so glad to hear others experiencing the same thing. My sinuses are popping mostly at night and I feel ear discomfort too. It is very annoying, One dr told me it is due to my rhinittis, and tension. Then I went and seen an ENT today and he told me its nothing serious. So I definetly thing it is all from anxiety and tension. I also clench my teeth, without even noticing. I am finally beginning to understand that when we're stressed and anxious so many other things start to go out of wack! My dr said its hypersensitivity...
    Good luck to all!

I have the same symptoms and have had them for a couple of months now, my GP hs just confirmed (yesterday) that I suffer with TMJ. Someone suggested I might have in on here when responding to one of my 'I am dying' panic posts!! Anyway the symptoms seem to match all of your complaints and it is something that can be caused by stress, teeth clenching etc. I have listed the link to the symptoms for you to look at:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tempo...e/page3_em.htm

Hope this helps xx

glad i found this post cos im suffering with EXACTLY the same thing at the moment.like a tightness going from my jaw down my neck into my shoulder.

been doing loads of yoga lately and also badly need a new bed so im hoping thats all it is .

Good grief! I allow my panic to just run away with me when I feel these little aches and pains. I have been walking around all day in a panic. I had this pain in the right front of my neck. Funny how it disappeared after reading this thread.

Thread Information