Thread: Scared by symptoms

Unhappy Scared by symptoms

Three weeks ago while at work I had a sudden pain up the left side of my neck and my tongue/throat seemed to be paralysed for a few seconds. My left hand went numb. I was alarmed enough to go to hospital and they said I may have had a mini stroke but then on discharge they said it was most unlikely as I am only 41, fit-ish and don't smoke etc etc.....
    There were no neurological indicators of any problem, although they didn't do a head scan. Blood pressure etc all fine.
    I am, admittedly, a very anxious person.
    Since then I have had, on and off, massive pressure in my head (like someone is pressing down really hard on me most of the time), stabblng pains in ear and eye, random pains in shoulder, numbness iand pain in both arms, slight twitches in parts of my body and repeated constrictions of the throat, where I feel it is hard to swallow and that my tongue isn't working properly.
    I feel spaced out and fuzzy, like I am not functioning properly, and have to think harder to do simple things like type a letter.
    I feel like my vision is distorted, too, but had an eye test yesterday and he couldn't see anything wrong.
    My GP has referred me back to hospital but I face a fairly lengthy wait and I am worried sick, which isn't helping!
    Would an eye test have showed up a tumour or anything, or could it be something this serious? Any advice appreciated.

Re: Scared by symptoms

I am now worried that no-one at all has replied so it must be something bad :(

Hi Jo

I am not surprised you were terrified. About 5 yrs ago I woke up with my mouth and left side of my head all numb. I called an ambulance and after tests they said it was huge anxiety attack. Since then my health anxiety has spiralled so I know where you are coming from. I am not a medical person and I know nothing will really reassure you till you have had tests but I am sure they would not have discharged you if you were not well my love.

Hi Jo, I was going to say I am no expert on anxiety, but I am given that I have had panic/anxiety/agoraphobia over the years and have experienced a 1001 different symptoms!! I think that anxiety etc is responsible for all manners of symptoms that people who have never had anxiety would never believe or even dream of.

So its great to hear that there were no neurological indicators of any problem and that your blood pressure etc is all fine.

As for feeling spaced out and fuzzy, if I am not mistaken, thats what I call "Unreality" and you can read up about it here - it will help put your mind at rest.
    http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/deper...alisation.html

Infact read the whole site and if you want, I can even send you the book (attached to an e-mail if you would like to give me your address), At last a life. It is really really good.

You say you are a very anxious person. So with that in mind, are you tensed up a lot of the time too? This in its self will not help matters and you will get pains in various places and your vision may go funny as a result - I think I read that in the book I have just mentioned. Its well worth reading. It gives you reasons for the way you are feeling and what to do about how you are feeling too. I am not suggesting here that its easy or quick but its helped me.

I hope I have been able to help you a little bit Jo.

Shirley

Thanks to Basil Cat and Bab for heir helpful replies. It helps to know I am not alone and that others are sympathetic and knowledgeable. I'll read the book for sure.
    Since posting the message I collapsed at work last Fri and was detained in hospital for 4 days, during which they did a head scan, which was mercifully clear. They are also planning a dopplar (?) test on the neck (to check arteries, I think).
    However, I have been relaxed to the point of utter boredom while there and since I got home and still have this huge and unrelenting head pressure and continue to have these mini-paralyses in tongue/throat and all sorts of sharp pains and aches.
    If anyone else has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear from them and thanks to you all.
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/smilies/unsure.gif

Sorry to hear you were in hospital for 4 days but I am really glad that your head scan was clear - what a relief!! I have not heard of a dopplar test. Hopefully when you have that done you will get another positive result too. I know how that utter boredom feels. Its not good is it. My friend had a problem with her tongue though not so much her throat. But the thing with anxiety is that it can make you feel 1001 ways that you couldnt dream up in a million years. So the head pressure and the sharp pains and aches could easily be part of it. I remember when I was agoraphobic when I was 19, walking around and feeling like I was walking over "wavy" ground, like the sea gets waves, well it seemed like the ground was doing the same thing!! That was just one of many symptoms. Its the tension and constant worry and focussing on ourselves all the time that makes things worse. So we have to try and relax as much as possible and not worry about how we are feeling. I know, easier said than done. I think you will get a lot from the anxietynomore website. Take Care.
    Shirley

Jo honey the symptoms you described are classic anxiety symptoms. Time for you to relax and deal with anxiety. That's your 'health issue', anxiety. By the Claire Weeks book on it, learn relaxation and breathing techniques and evaluate why you're anxious.

The symptoms of tumors are really severe. By now you would have been unable to function if it was a tumor. More over...tests WOULD HAVE SHOWN IT. Never down the validity of your doctors judgments. Your brain is fine. You have no disease...you have anxiety.

Thread Information