Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What helps you?

What helps you?

We all know about destructive coping mechanisms for our anxiety, mine is white wine and I've consumed so much my stomach burns whenever I drink! But what about anything good and positive that helps you? Mine is writing. To cope with my condition I always try and play it down, make it appear more light hearted, so I try and write comedy and it really helps me, if that makes sense?

Re: What helps you?

Quote Originally Posted by macca78 View Post
    We all know about destructive coping mechanisms for our anxiety, mine is white wine and I've consumed so much my stomach burns whenever I drink! But what about anything good and positive that helps you? Mine is writing. To cope with my condition I always try and play it down, make it appear more light hearted, so I try and write comedy and it really helps me, if that makes sense?
    Good to see a positive post .

I have Bipolar and can be extremely self destructive . If I'm not on a high then I crave it. My healthy way of dealing with this is to exercise and loads of it. Luckily I enjoy it, I train everyday and I've also just settled in p/t work as a Dance Instructor.
    I do all sorts of sport, the more extreme I love best, always craving for more.

I sometimes paint too, I love both Art and Photography and also listening to music.

Reading helps me, I call it chewing gum for the eyes. I read all the time and can really focus but watching TV I get distracted and end up thinking.

Also exercising helps. I run - well I was a good runner but I struggle over the winter months. I've started ice skating with my seven year old daughter which is fab and although I may look like an elephant on ice I feel like I should be on Dancing on Ice lol. It completely takes away the anxiety for a while and the endorphins are good too!
    I bought a book about meditating but that it still sitting on my shelf - maybe that in itself will help me.

On the destructive side I agree with you the wine is the killer but that first glass always tastes so good

Nicomi

On the destructive side I agree with you the wine is the killer but that first glass always tastes so good

mmmmm, and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ..........

Yup, you're right, but stop, you're making me think about it and I try not to drink in the week

Reading a great Thriller/comedy/adventure novel is superb. Not only is it engrossing, but it also gets the imagination focused on something fun and less destructive.

TV/Computer games can normally set my anxiety off as my mind starts to wander after a while...(normally hunting for some lovely old worry thoughts)...

A TV programme sometimes helps, depending on what is bugging me at the time. Something fairly lighthearted like 'Come Dine With Me' or a daft movie like 'Romy & Michelle's HIgh School Reunion'

I love Come Dine With Me, and Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion!! I love to watch films and shows that really make me laugh, and whenever I am feeling down or very anxious, sometimes if I think of a funny moment from one of my favourite shows or films it makes me laugh out loud and makes me feel happy.

Katie, like you I also have Bipolar and know too well the destructive side that comes along with this condition! I like to bake, clean, read and play games on my pc as a distraction. I am agoraphobic, but am able to go out with my hubby and 5 dogs for a walk over a nature trail, this really clears my head.
    Macca that's a great idea writing comedy. I sometime try to write, but end up with a load of rambling!

I love to read a good thriller and when I am very anxious I love to get out and walk all that negative energy out of my system
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information