Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBT again, is it really worth trying

Re: CBT again, is it really worth trying

Quote Originally Posted by pink-daisey View Post
    Hi.. I am having cbt also and hypnotherapy
    and my friend who also has agoraphobia is having cbt
    the thing is you have to be at that stage when u really want life!! we all say we want to get better etc, but cos we have been like this for years its like our life now and its si hard to take that first step.

my friend couldnt walk to her ened of her street 5 months ago. and now she can walk 20 minutes from her house,

she has done this by walking everyday i mean every day or more
    walking to the furthest point where she could each day untill it got into a routine. so for what ever anxiety issue u have u have to do the same, Its no point us sitting in and saying oh i want to get my life back bla bla bla cos it wont change at all.. so u go and get taht cbt and u follow everything do excersises each day. even if u feeling poo do some of it this is only the way u will get your life back!!! if you want to get better u have to get in to a routine of doing the excersises each day to beat this.

Im also doing my excersises each day now and its getting easier each day but god its hard!! but i want my life back
    I see where you are coming from, although again, doesn't the reason for the agoraphobia have to be taken into account? For example there are many reasons for people to become agoraphobic. Mine personally is a spin off from having PTSD.
    I saw a therapist in Belgium for appointments for 2 years paying privately, she had this same view of walking daily, pushing myself. I did push myself, walked daily for 2 years and never managed to get past the local shop in a small village due to terrible shaking. What made it worse was that on two occassions people stopped me in the street to ask if I was ok (this of course made me realise how severe my muscle twitches are and my shaking.
    I kept going and didn't give up, yet one day at the therapists meeting she said "I really can't help you, you are not trying hard enough and to be honest I don't think I am experienced enough to help you with the amount of trauma you have suffered", she had no idea how hard I had struggled! It knocked me for 6.

Over 4000 euros spent which we could ill afford, I returned home devestated.

It was only when I saw a psychotherapist who's expertise was trauma that I felt someone could really relate to what I was going through.

I'm back to square one now, today the GP phoned since I am unable to sleep and she suggested I put lavender oil in my bath. Great idea, just shame that she has no clue about severe trauma.

It's amazing some of the drivel that people who "specialize" in treating panic and the like spew when they don't have experience with anxiety and related symptoms! The truth is that some don't have the sense that God gave an ant but just because they have PHD or MD behind their name, we are supposed to follow what they say and take it as gospel!

I personally believe that every person is different. There isn't one treatment that is going to work for everyone!
    If there were a "cure" for anxiety someone would have bottled it, or would have it offered it in some other way and made TONS of money!!!
    Instead we have charlatans who peddle "cures" that have no effect and then blame the person who is ill when there is no improvement!
    No one WANTS to have this illness! Personally I would eat hot coals if it would get rid of the anxiety forever!!! LOL
    But the truth is there is no quick fix miracle cure and to say so is deceptive and just plain WRONG!
    xxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

I have spent pounds on trying to get rid of my anxiety and panic disorder and so far the only thing that has worked for me is my own hard work and determination. I once went for hypnotherapy and the person who was going to do it for me some how turned all the sessions into counselling so I never got to find out if it would cure me or not. I guess I have been a bit unfortunate because my doctor has never referred me for anything I have had to pay for all my own treatment myself and I got to the stage I couldn't afford to keep paying out any more, the best thing I ever found was a copy of Claire Weeks Self Help for your Nerves it was the best money I ever spent and the only thing that helped me get my life back on track, I still have a long way to go but I am doing so much better.

Carol

Quote Originally Posted by eeyorelover View Post
    It's amazing some of the drivel that people who "specialize" in treating panic and the like spew when they don't have experience with anxiety and related symptoms! The truth is that some don't have the sense that God gave an ant but just because they have PHD or MD behind their name, we are supposed to follow what they say and take it as gospel!

I personally believe that every person is different. There isn't one treatment that is going to work for everyone!
    If there were a "cure" for anxiety someone would have bottled it, or would have it offered it in some other way and made TONS of money!!!
    Instead we have charlatans who peddle "cures" that have no effect and then blame the person who is ill when there is no improvement!
    No one WANTS to have this illness! Personally I would eat hot coals if it would get rid of the anxiety forever!!! LOL
    But the truth is there is no quick fix miracle cure and to say so is deceptive and just plain WRONG!
    xxx
    Sandy

I totally agree

Is CBT the new in thing on the NHS?!
    They seem to be reffering everyone for it

I also have agoraphobia and have been battling with it for many years. I understood your concerns the DSS sent a doctor to my home on a saturday to interview mw as I could not travel to them, my G.P. requested this.. I have found the mental health team members positiv ely unhelpful and on occasions nasty. I have a private counsellor now who visits me at home. I hope this helps.

Therapy cured me.Well sort of...i felt such an idiot i decided to go away and cure myself.I think its like faith healing.If you believe it will work,it probably will.

You have not offended me! you may just have found a hypnotherapist that was not so good, either generally or on your subject!
    just because one painter does a poor job on your house, doesn't mean you'll never decorate again, eh?
    The lightbulb took many attempts to perfect it, we are all glad they tried that hard!
    forgive me, I do love a metaphor!
    As I always say if there was something quicker and more effective, I'd be doing it, I'm a fickle therapist, I'll jump ship if i find a better way, I want the fastest results possible, so far hypnotherapy/NLP is that method, it is only limited to the co-operation of the client.
    Be well!

Quote Originally Posted by bottleblond View Post
    Phobia Man

I have never once been offered hypnotherapy on the NHS. Does it exsist? Maybe the NHS offer what therapies they have available to them.

The only thing hypnotherapy did for me was empty my purse.

Sorry if that offends but it's the truth.

Lisa
    x

Ah but pray tell, would the 'jumping ship' be for the patient or the wallet? (ok sarcasm does not suit me) however it is a question i am intrigued about.

If i visited you tomorrow for 2 hours would i then be cured of my agoraphobia? Honestly please??? As you did claim 'one to two hours on a phobia'.

Lisa
    x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information