Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety = Urge to Urinate?

Re: Anxiety = Urge to Urinate?

I have this problem when my anxiety is bad. Apparently, the bladder has a memory and the more you go the more you want to go. It needs retraining.

The thought of a long journey always makes the problem worse. Never go on a coach without a loo!

My 16 year old daughter is just the same.

I definately get this with my anxiety, I thought it was only me. I need to go almost constantly when I'm anxious, along with IBS. It's such a strong urge sometimes I think I'm gonna wet myself [although I never have]

It's a big annoyance & I've been tested for infections...just something I have to put up with. It also makes me paranoid when I'm out about finding a toilet...
    Just another thing to have to 'deal with' :(

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

I get this! My therapist said it is because I am hyperaware of my body and so I notice having to "go" much sooner than I would if I was not feeling so anxious.

I find that I end up trying to urinate when I don't even need to!
    I don't know if it's just because I'm out of tune with my body or that I'm just trying to find something to do or have some sort of control of my body for once!

I also get this unfortunately :( It would happen to me if ia had to do someting important or serious ie: Court with my ex wife, or travelling to the next town to see my daughter. I've no idea how to stop it myself. I've just put it down to part of my anxiety. Although your situation is defo a lot more extreme. Hope you feel better soon.

Aaron

I also have this and have suffered from anxiety for years. Of course, only dealing with the symptoms (the urge to wee) rather than tackling the cause (anxiety) can only be a short-term and partial fix. Like many people I'm not wild about taking medicines, partly because I don't want to rely on them but also because I'd rather get myself in order than paper over the cracks. Again, treating the symptoms with medicine is not addressing the root cause.

It seems to me that the main problem is that we often take ourselves too seriously. What we do seems to matter sooo much. We worry about what people think of us, how are plans and actions will turn out and all the things that can go wrong. There really is no end to the things that you can worry about! And worry is low-level fear, making us feel weak, trembly and quite frankly, a bit pathetic.

I want to suggest that thinking about ourselves less is the key to stopping anxiety. You can contemplate the vast age and size of the universe or all the people who have lived throughout history. These people were real like us, not just names! You can think about people you read about in the newspaper or see on TV, or people you see while queueing for a bus. Or think about your friends and family. Basically anything that shrinks the sense of your own importance is good. Once you have got used to directing your attention outwards rather than inwards, things start to get better, little by little.

I don't believe in positive thinking (trying to convince myself of what I know, deep down, isn't true) or weird eastern ways of relaxation or homeopathy, because for something to work for me, I have to understand how, and be convinced that, it really works. I don't want to pretend that I'm the happiest person in the world when I'm not. This kind of self-deceit is part of the problem, not the solution.

After twenty years of anxiety and reading lots of philosophy, psychology and self-help style books, I think reducing the sense your own importance is the only cure. Look around you at the people you like and admire, and all of them will have this trait: they are not consumed by self-importance.

Another thing that helped me is my conviction that we don't have free will. We have free choices, but what we choose will be determined by the people we have become, which ultimately is beyond our control. We neither chose our genes, nor our families, nor the country and age we grew up in. Our personal history is like a set of falling dominoes with one thing leading inexorably to the next; at each new domino we choose anew, but our choice is determined by who we have become, which in turn is determined by previous choices. This means that 'we' should get no praise for the good things we do, but equally, we are not really to blame either. In the same way you shouldn't pat yourself on the back for not being born with Downes Syndrome, you also don't have to blame yourself for ending up less than perfect!

Anyway, this is not an all or nothing cure because it takes a while to get used to thinking of things other than yourself, so it works by degrees. But the more you get used to thinking of things outside yourself, the less self-obsessed you become. This takes time but it's worth it. The full treatment could take years, but starting today will get you used to a different way of thinking and will make a difference right away. So, in a nutshell, get so interested in the world around you that there is no room for your self-obsessive thoughts!

I actually know that my levels of anx, panic and depress go up as soon as soon as i start running to the loo too often. Happeninv now.

I have same problem as well.5 6 years ago been checked for diabetes and was all clear.last week I went to gp again to find out diabetes insipidus.its smillar symptoms like diabetes drinking so much water and peeing a lot but reason is different ..some hormone is not enough for kidneys to stop peeing and kidneys dont keep water in body send them all out..
    I will find out what it is.if is diabetes insipidus its good couse there are some medicines avaiable replacing this hormone and stop peeing..

I'm too same specially when I'm worry about something or angry or stressed I can stop peeing.I remember one time i drunk 20 lt water in 2 3 hours and pee all of them during 3 hours...
    Its really not good...

Hi,
    You have to clear the gutter to relieve from the bad odor. The same with the Anxiety. If you take pills they suppress the hormones and keep you calm for specific time, again it starts once the medication is over.

The best doctor is you! analyze what causes the anxiety trigger and try to eliminate them. Sit calm and meditate and try to find the reason.

Deep breathing, sudharshan Kriya, Jogging all can aid you in clear your anxiety and depression.

Depression is merely a suppression of feelings. Open them, let they gush out...

India

The reason it could have helped may be because your dehydrated. A quick search into google about the positive effects of water on anxiety will show you this. @selenjmr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information