Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrified of Smear Test Results

Re: Terrified of Smear Test Results

Hi. I am 31 and had abnormal cells 10 years ago. They did 2 test to make sure and I had an
    op, quite a painless one, since I had not any abnormal smears
    . I have to have them done yearly now.
    Just got pregnant with my 2nd child. So don't worry. Yes, jades story is upsetting me too and making me worried, but that
    Is because she is living our nightmare. That's what ha sufferers fear the most, therfore
    We react to it with scare and fear, which is good on one side as we are taking our health
    Seriouis and would never ignore doctors letters

From internet research, fortunately, cervical cancer is very slow in progressing and there ARE some symptoms that women experience, such as irregular bleeding between periods, bleeding/pain during and after sex and nasty-smelling vaginal discharge.
    You have both done the right thing by having your smears done, because ask yourself this... what if you did have cancer? Wouldn't you rather know and get treatment and be cured of it, or shorten your life because of believing that, "ignorance is bliss"?
    I know it's scary, trust me I know, but the fact is, you have more chance of dying in a car crash than of having cervical cancer, and lemme guess... neither of you give it much thought when you get in your cars to drive somewhere, right?
    Thinking positively can help with anxiety tremendously, and as hard as it may be to do, whenever you find yourself thinking about the "what-ifs", force your thoughts elsewhere. Read a book, watch a movie, go see a friend, meditate. Just remain focused and positive.
    Best wishes to you both.

Hello, thanks for your feedback. I know deep down that going for my smear (all be it 10 years late !) was a good step forward. I also keep trying to tell myself that if anything sinister was going off down there then seeing as I have not had symptoms it would be likely very early stage & probalby treatable with minimum fuss. However the irrational side of my brain seems to take over on this subject - 49 % of my head tells me all will be fine whatever the result then 51% of my brain is consumed by googling horror stories, obsessing over poor Jade & scaring my self silly. I am one of lifes worriers, allways have been, always will be but with most things I can get a grip & keep my irrational side in check - this subject however has really got the better of me, its something which has been in the back of my mind for 10 years & now I have finally climbed the barrier & been for the test I feel worse. Everyone thinks I have done the hard part getting it done - this was always going to be the hard part for me though. I know once this is over & done with whichever way it goes it will be a huge relief...I will have to find something else to fret about !!

Mrs Thomas

I am awaiting my results too from 4 weeks ago and I hate waiting...whats even worse is that they say women should go mid cycle but my period decided to start that evening after it was done so now automatically I am thinking 'cells wont show up if it was done at the wrong time, what if they miss something'!

I actually got my 3 yearly reminder about 2 days ago (they obviously havent twigged that a gynae took one recently) and am going to have it repeated mid cycle just for piece of mind. I refuse to wait another 3 years worrying that they might have missed something because I wasnt mid cycle...that would be sheer hell!

I know what you're going through with the wait, dont know about the US but the results can take upto 12 weeks here, oh yeah and I had abormal cells once like another poster and they checked me every year until sorted so for me to have had to wait for 3 years this time has been tough!!

L x

L ... If your results from this most recent smear come back "normal" then I truly would take that at face value and accept that all is ok. The reason I say this is because the time of the month really shouldn't matter when related to "negative" results... I've done alot of research, and from what I can gauge, it's only when abnormal cells are found that it could be caused by the time of month they did your test.
    I know how hard it is to wait... fortunately, I was very lucky to receive my results within 8 days (I had my smear done during a visit to the UK last month) but I have had to wait weeks in the past and it's truly hell.
    But regarding your first smear, accept the results - or run the risk of developing your health anxiety into something much worse, such as a type of Munchausen's syndrome, where you end up constantly hassling doctors to find something wrong with you simply because you're convinced there is.
    I know that sounds harsh, and I know how contradicting I sound considering I'm a worrier too, but a friend of mine has a wonderful saying that I try to adopt whenever I sit thinking, "But, what if....."
    My friend always responds with, "Yeah, and what if your Aunty had balls, then she'd be ya Uncle".
    And it's true.
    Don't live life by the "what-ifs" because before you know it, life has passed you by, and those what-ifs have been and gone with no harm done expect to your mental state.
    Accept the results of your first smear and leave it at that.
    You will be just fine.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the re-assurance I got here. I got the envelope from the clinic, ran up to the loo, threw up, paced around for half an hour then eventually had the guts to open it it came back normal so all that angst & I was fine all along !! I had got myself into such a state over this & now i'm just cross with myself for getting myself in such a tangle over it. I send massive hugs out to anyone feeling like any of us have about this issue I for one never want to feel like that again !!

I am not going to start preaching now about how all women should go get screened as that would be totally hypocritical seeing as it took me to the age of 35 to pluck up the courage, all I will say is that nothing beats the feeling of finding out all is well, especailly after carrying this anxiety round with me for 10 years +. I will now stick to my promise to take care of myself from now on & go get checked again when the time comes again, hopefully the next time wont be so difficult as I wont have 10 years to catch up on

i am a nurse and smear taker in general practice.
    I would like to reassure that smears detect minor abnormalities of the cervix that if left could take years to develop into a cancer, having regular smear should detect these minor changes enabling treatment to be quick and easy. Its a very effective screening service for those who use it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsThomas76 View Post
    My name is Sarah and I'm 32, married but no kids yet. I've had quite a promiscuous past which I'm very, very ashamed of and deeply regret, and 18 months ago, following some fertility tests, I was told that I had a 1:200 chance of having had the chlamydia virus. I was given the appropriate antibiotics which I took, and I never gave it another thought.
    The fertility tests were otherwise ok, so I assume that no long-term damage was done if I did have the virus.
    But.... on Monday, I had my 3-yearly smear test done at my doctors. My last one was in November '05 and was all clear. But for some reason, this time round, my nerves are completely shattered and I have convinced myself that the smear test results will come back "abnormal".
    I have been driving myself insane by reading up on cervical cancer and the HPV virus which can cause it, and I've become almost obsessed.
    Reading/hearing about poor Jade Goody (who is now terminally ill with cervical cancer at just 27 yrs old) has multiplied my fear.
    I seem to walk around in a daze, my mind constantly reeling with the "what if" thoughts. I look at the sky, hear the birds singing, and keep thinking, "what if this is the last time I see/hear these things?"
    The worst part for me is that during my past escapades, I was in a long-term relationship and was actually cheating on my partner. We've since split and I am now married to a wonderful man whom I love dearly. But my guilt and sorrow for my mistakes overpowers me, and I've started to believe that I am going to be punished in some way... that surely I can't be allowed to "get away with it" so easily. Then I start wondering if getting cancer will be my punishment. It never ends.
    It's been less than a week since my smear test, but I'm so tempted to keep ringing the doctor's surgery to ask if they have the results yet, even though deep down I know it won't be this soon.
    What if I have HPV? What if I already have cervical cancer?
    I am on the verge of tears 24/7, it's taking over my life and it's certainly not the first time I've been in this position, worrying about other, unrelated test results.
    I have seen doctors about my anxiety and depression, I've been prescribed many different medications and seen a psychiatric nurse-come-councelor, but nothing seems to help me.
    I'm at my wits end... I don't want to feel like this anymore, I'm sick of the constant fear and worry - I just want to be happy and live my life with hope instead of dread.
    I just don't know what to do anymore, and to make matters worse, I now live in the USA and hubby and I can't afford health insurance, so there's no way I can afford the money to see a therapist or doctor about this problem.
    Any ideas... anyone?
    Hi All,

I can't believe there are other people worryin! - all my friends and family (mainly husband) can't understand why I worry over health issues so much. I have my smear booked for Wednesday and this is literally all I can think about. The 'what if's' are constantly in my head and I dont seem able to look forward to anything. I a 33 years old with 3 children and have always gone for my 3 yearly smears which have all come back normal. 3 years ago I started experiencing bleeding in between periods and went to visit my nurse for reassurance. I had swobs to detect infections which came back clear, I convinced myself I had cervical cancer and would cry myself to sleep at night. My doctor refered me to a gyno who carried out a colcoscopy and a smear which came back negative although the biopsy indicated very, very minor changes. this has been playing at the back of my mind and I now think that these very, very minor changes may now be severe. I put my anxiety down to the fact the my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 49 and sadly passed away at 53 (3 years aga) I love her so much and miss her reassurance.

hi melliel

i completely understand how you feel... i have just had a borderline abnormal result from my smear and got to go back in 6 months. My mum died from cervical cancer and so did her mum so i am so worried.

i have read alot online though and tried to reassure myself that the treatments have come on so much since then (my mum died when i was 12 - i'm now 33).

when you have children though i think you worry even more about what might happen..

i am really tring to be positive and wait til my next smear in oct. i guess even if they do detect changes again i will have one of those colposcopys which may or may not show anything anyway!!! this could be sometime of "worrying" until i find anything out so i have to try and not let it take over!

x x x

Hi Worried1,

Borderline is obvoisly very, very minor changes I know its hard not to worry but you should definatly try and think positively. Chances are your next smear will be normal.

My sister had her 1st smear 6mths after our mom passed away which came back abnormal she had a further test 6mths later which was again abnormal. She went on to have further tests and treatment and now has yearly smears which always come back normal.

I am very good at giving out advice but not so good at taking it.! I am still waiting on my smear test results after 2wks and 5 days. I feel as though I cannot function until I know I am o.k. My poor husband must be sick to death of reasasuring me.

It is particlarly hard when you have lost someone you love so much who you imagined would be here forever.

When I was having one of my moments my husband said something to me that I will never forget. "You are not living your life because you are so scared of dying".

This really shocked me because I know he is right but I just can't seem to put a stop to the negative thoughts, whats most sad is that there are so many other people feeling like me and it's such a waste of energy and life.

Take care, I really do believe you will be fine.

Mel x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information