Thread: antibiotics triggering attacks or is it just in my head..

antibiotics triggering attacks or is it just in my head..

Hi all, again.. I wrote last night in the midst of a horrible panic/anxiety attack, calmed down and went to sleep. Woke up in the morning with bad brain fog and nerveusness and had an attack again, even stronger, really thought I was loosing it big time. Took some oxazepam, one pill, and after couple of hours calmed down. Now its starting again, face feeling numb, flutters in stomach, feelings of terror and feeling just weird in my head etc.. so here we go again, and of course am thinking "this is it, now it will be even worse and Ill go into psychosis, or just paralyze.." and because I am always very afraid of side effects I obviously think that now am doing something irreversible to my brains..with antibiotics..nuts.
    I have been taking zithromax now for two days and was wondering if anyone out there gets more attacks/anxiety when starting antibiotics or is this really just worse because of the anxiety? and does it pass? Cant once more figure out how to make it through tonight thank you all again..

Re: antibiotics triggering attacks or is it just in my head..

Many people I've encountered have heightened anxiety when they start any new med. It's not all conscious, either - if you're at all anxious your mind can really create symptoms and anxiety around a certain situation. It's most likely that you're experiencing heightened panic in light of the fact that your immune system is a little run down due to your illness (I'm guessing throat?). Your system can handle it but your anxiety has you in a mentally fragile state, so of course you're worried. I stress out every time I take a new medication, and I've had schooling in them. I attribute every twinge to the new meds and it takes me a week or so to stop panicking about it. I hope you can relax - zithro REALLY won't harm you and if anything bad were going to happen, it would have done so close to the time you took the first pill. Good luck!!!!

thank you missmandy, once again!! youre the best. i really hope you are starting to feel better yourself? one more question, if you or somebody else can answer, what are the "normal" doses (per day, per week) of benzos people usually take when going through a tough period with many attacks. even if they would not take any when everything is ok. i just hate taking them cause always someone warns of the disadvantages, but they are the only thing helpng me when its like this. and this forum obviously

ps i have a chronic sinusitis

It REALLY differs greatly from patient to patient. Doctors can be reluctant to prescribe them, as constant use can lead to addiction and people with mood/panic disorders are prone to self-medication. As for normal doses, that depends. I've seen doses of up to 20mg/day of clonopin (a benzo), but I personally get 30 tabs of 1mg ativan, and they usually last me about two months. You definitely have to monitor yourself to make sure you're not becoming physically dependant - but taking them during the course of an attack is normal and you should be absolutely fine. I know how you're feeling - I try to resist taking them as long as I can. I think the most important thing is to have an honest view of your use. When you really can't cope, you're supposed to take them, and they should help.

Try not to stress out too much! Hope you feel better and PM me if you need anything, as always!!

thank you, knowing that calms me! (and the serax i decided to take..) my pharmacist friend does not understand why you wouldnt take medication if it makes you feel better..medicine anxiety sucks. maybe we have been brought up with the idea of "chin up, it will pass"..and that is why we spend bravely such a long time fighting something that in the end would make all the difference, for better.

Thread Information