Thread: Taking 2 pills a day instead of one...

Taking 2 pills a day instead of one...

There are sometimes when my anxiety gets quite bad when on these pills...it's been like this for a while now, i do have hope that it'll pass and i'm sure it will so i'm not going to give up....but just wanted to know if there was any harm in taking ANOTHER pill if i get desperately anxious? Like say if i've already taken one in the morning, then i go out, feel abit antsy...it would be ok if i took another pill wouldn't it??

By the way i'm taking 20mg.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Taking 2 pills a day instead of one...

Citalopram does not work like something like Diazepam that you take when you need something to instantly relax you.

I would say NO do not just take another pill ad-hoc - taking one extra pill will have no effect just like that.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

HI I AGREE WITH NICOLA,IVE BEEN ON THESE FOR 4 MONTHS.YOU CAN GET INCREASED ANXIETY TO START WITH ON THESE.HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON THEM?PERHAPS YOUR DOC WILL GIVE YOU SOME DIAZEPAM TO HELP YOU THRU THE SIDE EFFECTS FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. LUV SUE

hey, i used to be on citalopram for quite a long time, for depression, not anxiety, i agree with the above, its really not a case of an instant relief, as you may know from getting on them in the first place, or if you have ever come off them, they require a very gradual build up in order to work. (i used to do what you do too and i was also on 20mg, it didn't help at all in the long run) I realy think you should go to your dr and ask if there is anything you can take to immediately reduce panic. xxx

Hi Pill-popper - i would be inclined to agree with everyone else and say that taking a second tablet in the same day would definately not be a good idea. Citalopram is something that works gradually in your body, slowly getting the seroton system back working efficiently in your body - producing all the happy chemicals, that make you feel good. These tablets don't have immediate effect in an anxiety masking way. Infact if you were to suddenly increase the dose in your body from 20mg to 40mg (in one day) you would probably suffer from side effects as the body adjusts to a higher dose (like when you first started on them) and this could well lead to increased anxiety.

Im just over three weeks into taking these tablets and i still have days where my anxiety feels higher than it was before - im too just dealing with this as best i can and just giving my body the time it needs to properly get used to these drugs. Something i find does hepp take the edge off it and distract my mind is doing some excersize, helps burn off all that extra adrenalin that makes you feel anxious - just don't over do it and that will leave you feeling exhausted the next day - a mistake i have made a few times!

Oh my goodness defenitly NOT!!!
    These tablets arnt a "quick fix" they take a while for them to get in to your system.

HI bubblefizz, how are you i would agree with everyone else on this just taking a extra tablet every now and again will not work, they need to build up in your system and as i know this can take a long time. take care lucy x

Hya Lucy im not tooooo bad today thank you x

Thread Information