Thread: Depression Causing Physical Illness

Depression Causing Physical Illness

Hi,

I have been suffering from a run of ongoing sore throats, and flu like colds that knock me off my feet for at least a week at a time. I have been to the doctors many times about this only to be told 'it's one of those things'. However I got to see a new doctor the other day who said that there is nothing physically wrong with me and that the symptoms are caused by me been very depressed at the moment. The thing is I do actually get a high temperature, light headedness, sore throat, runny ears etc.

Has anybody else experienced this and does anybody know where I can get anymore information about this from?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Re: Depression Causing Physical Illness

I feel like this most of the time and have often wondered do I feel so ill because of depression or is it the other way round and that feeling run down is causing me to feel more depressed.

I hate going to the doctors because it feels like they never take me seriously....its like once you've been labelled with suffering from anxiety/depression then thats was caused whatever ailment you're there for.
    Hope you feel better soon and get the answers you're looking for....please share them with me if you do

xxxx

Hi hun
    I know exactly how your feeling ive had colds/flu one after the other since oct/nov last year and im bed with another at the moment.
    I was told a while ago that our immune sysytem are low when were suffering with anxiety/depression so were prone to pick up colds etc more easily.
    I hope you feel better soon though and maybe the warmer weather later on will make us all feel better.
    Take care
    xxx

Hi

I seem to feel physically ill a lot too, and I have to agree with AngieJ about being 'labelled' by the doctor. I don't feel that I'm taken seriously, either. My current GP is very sympathetic and says nice things, but it's almost like she's just letting me talk! I did get some blood tests done last year and discovered I needed iron and folic acid - but the physically symptoms keep coming and going :(

xx

Thread Information