Hi all,

I was wondering if it would be helpful to start a thread about the science behind benign Ventricular Ectopic Beats...

I think it's good to share experiences but also, I find it comforting to learn the science behind how the heart works.

So calling all medics! Does anyone know about these things? I hear of them occassionally but don't really get the science behind it...

Vagus Nerve?
Stress and it's link to heart?

And also this piece from the British Medical Journal raises questions from me about a link between VEBs and VF...

"Ventricular ectopic beats (VEBs) are commonly seen in daily clinical practice. They are largely asymptomatic but can cause upsetting symptoms in some patients. In normal hearts, their occurrence is usually associated with no clinical significance. However, there are occasions where the presence of VEBs signifies a susceptibility towards more sinister arrhythmias, especially when heart disease is present. In some patients, VEBs are triggered by the same mechanism that gives rise to ventricular tachycardia which can be cured with catheter ablation. In addition, there are recent reports on the use of catheter ablation in cases where focal ventricular ectopics are found to trigger ventricular fibrillation."