Thread: saying something inappropiate

saying something inappropiate

Hi all, Not sure im writing this in the right place but would just like to know im not the only one out there suffering/suffered from this.

For weeks i was terrified to talk to anyone on the phone, see anyone in general, especially a proffessional, like a doctor, policeman etc just incase i spoke aloud my intrusive thoughts. I felt as if i would just burst out with it and then i'd get locked up etc. Also worry i'll sometimes come out with something sexually orientated at a very inappropiate time. Never have, but doesnt stop me worrying. i am only like this in times of stress and high anxiety but i just avoid ppl so i dont get it. in the last couple of months ive actually managed to attack back these thoughts and walk out the room, get into a deep converstaion about someting else to stop them.

Another thing which i have suffered/suffer from is similare to and relates to this i think which is when i write out an email, reply to thread, text message i have to read it through and through and through as im so scared of cliking send then reading after and finding i've gone mad and said something so in appropiate. WHY do our minds play these games!!! its so scary!!!!!!

Re: saying something inappropiate

Hi Afreshstart09,

I can so relate to your fear of saying something 'inappropriate' to someone on the phone or in general. It's as if you think to yourself 'What's the worst thing I could say?' and then you think that you will - although of course we never do!!

I also get the same thing with emails, replies & texts. It's all down to the negative thinking, panic & anxiety.

Good for you in dealing so well with these thoughts:
    In the last couple of months ive actually managed to attack back these thoughts and walk out the room, get into a deep conversation about someting else to stop them.
    Best wishes xx

nobody died, got arrested or caused irrepairable damage by saying what you think you might! I, in my line of work (Hypnotherapist) have to talk to people all the time, and from time to time i might say something a bit near the knuckle and the worst i've gotten was an odd look back (no hangcuffs or anything) the only real issue here is (even though you NEVER have before) that you fear you might. you have intrusive ruminations coupled with the fear of recrimination. I do have a technique I give to people that can stop any fear of being judged, but it is quite a trial. This may take some doing!
    Go into a certain type of shop and ask for something they clearly don't sell but it is a reasonable request eg. ask for a bigmac in a chippy watch their reaction then say sorry i meant a bag of chips (that'll get you started) then ramp it up, use your imagination it's great fun and an amazing buzz but more imporant you will desensitise yourself from worrying about saying the wrong thing and how they will react. NONE of my client have gotten into trouble in any way, how could they? it's an honest mistake (well maybe not so honest, but no harm done) you might like to do this in a different town so you feel detached from your locality. go to this youtube vid and listen from 3min 45sec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hMM0...ext=1&index=13
    my version of this starts milder than Jamie smart's and when you do it it is amazingly liberating, after all it cant be any worse than how you feel on a daily basis, can it? build up to a really ridiculous ask! go on just do it!!
    Last edited by PHOBIA MAN; 08-02-09 at 19:36. Reason: spellings

I also used to worried that I might say something that would get me locked up. Trust me if you saw what went through my head you would wonder sometimes. Anyway, when something like that happens I usually do say what is on my mind at the moment. People know how I am and they just laugh at some of the stuff that comes out of my mouth. Dont worry so much what other people think, you have to live with you. If it will help some of the pressure of thinking then say what you will(within reason of course). Take care honey and let the thoughts flow.

Thread Information