Thread: does my son have anxiety

does my son have anxiety

Hope you can help as I am at my wits end.

As a life-long anxiety sufferer I have liked to think i know myself and condition well and that my son was not going to have the same problems...

well

my suspicions sarted when he began to have horrendous sickness before every holiday...it happened so often my hubby and i decided it was a form of travel apprehension and,i'm afraid, did nothing as we hoped it would sort itself out.

now he's been sick three times in consecutive months. the first time was when he anticipated an important 'announcement' at school, the second time was before a football match and, he's downstairs now, the third time is today...we are due to go on holiday sunday and he had a tough day yesterday meeting people from a twinned school at an art's centre -which he really enjoyed. he's now missed three days school but recovers within an hour of his sickness - he is really sick and ill during these episodes - but my instinct tell me no buy would pass through his system so quickly.

what do i do....books say yoga and deep breathing but he's a boy's boy and cannot see him doing it. he admits he worries about every little thing and he's very oversensative about what people do and say about him and he is a perfectionist in school - all adding to his anxiety.

i really don't want my history to repeat itself....any advice, please, amanda

Re: does my son have anxiety

Hi Amanda

First of all, I'm not a doctor/nurse - but I've suffered with anxiety for YEARS. From all the reading and research I've done, it seems the best long term treatment is therapy to help break the cycle (but we know that, don't we? And it's so much harder than that). In the meantime, when I have to do something which I know will cause a panic attack ('knowing' that it will cause an attack is probably the reason I end up actually having one now), I take an anti-sickness tablet. Whether it's psychological or not, it works for me. Feel like I've jinxed myself now! Maybe you could have a chat with your doctor? I know that stopping the sickness won't stop your son from feeling rotten with anxiety, but it might help just a bit.

My 'relationship' with these pills started when I was 14 - I'd been waking up every morning with bad stomach pain, which the doctor initially thought might be an ulcer. Turns out it was stress/anxiety. The pills really helped, I don't know why!

Good luck with it, I really feel for you both x

Thread Information