Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had a panic attack today & I need some moral support!

I had a panic attack today & I need some moral support!

After 15 days of feeling anxious but not having a panic attack, I had one in the car on the way back from seeing my dog who is in quarantine. I do not know what triggered it, I just started with the fast heartrate, palpitations & tightness in my chest, pale face, sweating hands. I did the breathing exercises concentrating on using the abdominal muscles, it did help.

I then felt drained, jittery & shaky and SO SO SO disappointed in myself for not being able to cope with the panic. I feel scared & vulnerable & I always worry that I may be missing some other illness like a heart condition.

Oh, I need some reassurance.

I feel trapped in this perpetual spiral of worry that I will have another PA.

help......

Blot

Re: I had a panic attack today & I need some moral support!

Try and fill your head with positive thoughts , block out all negative rubbish. I know its eaiser said than done, but try to find some inner strenth. I have had many painc and aniexty attacks, I know whats coming so I just let them get on with it, try not to dwell on them. Tell your self/body not to listen to them.

Are these feelings new to you? if they are, speak to your GP asap. The sooner you address your issues, the sooner you will come through this and be the happy person you want to be.

Dont feel trapped, its your body and mind, take control and dont be a passenger.

Good Luck

Hi Blot,

Well done for managing 15 days without having a panic attack dispite feeling anxious.

Day 1 starts again tomorrow, we all feel like it is 2 steps forward and one back at times but we are still moving forwards so don't be so hard on yourself.

Try to remember you managed 15 days be proud of that rather than dwelling on the blip that you had today.

Hugs to you

Lynnann

15 days without a panic attack, that's not a failure, that's strong! No need to be disappointed.

Personally I find it easier to somehow actually embrace that I'm going to have a panic attack, rather than fear it. Of course I do fear getting them, but I try to think that "Ok, this might happen as well as just about anything might happen". When I fear them, I seem to project them into happening. It helps me if I somehow accept them.

Thanx for the support & advice Tankerton & Lynnann,

I really appreciate your input! I am on meds for the PA's, I have a gratitude journal which I use daily & this is very liberating as I have so much to be thankful for. I do a 15 minute relaxation exercise daily. Yes, I am happy that I had 15 PA free days, I guess the emotions get the better of me when I experience the symptoms. I just feel so vulnerable & weepy after an attack. Intellectually I know & understand the process of anxiety but it sure does not stop me from feeling fear! I try hard to keep focused, watch my posture, breathing, try to relax my shoulders & neck ( carry most of my tension there),so that I do not send subliminal messages of threat to my body.

I am in the process of looking for a job which is difficult in this economic climate.

Oh boy, I am droning on & on. I am so pleased that I have found this site as it is the only place where I can share my thoughts & feelings with folk who understand. My partner tries to be understanding but does not know what to do when I feel anxious & panicky.

Thanx for listening

Blot

Hello I am new here and I am so extremely happy that I found this website. I just want to say that 15 days without an attack is so great! Just remember this happend to you before, you are going to be ok, and adopt a "so what" attitude toward your panic attacks.

Hey Forrest Gump & ji1987,

I do appreciate your support. Yes, it is great that I did nit have any PA's for 15 days. Forrest, you are so brave being able to embrace the attacks instead of fearing them. I need to pluck up the courage to do just that.

ji1987 - welcome to this site!, you are absolutely right, I have had them before and nothing bad happened so WHY do I feel so scared? I fear the fear instead of acknowledging the PA for what it is, I distort it as I am so worried that it may not be a PA but a manifestation of some sinister condition.

Talk about being a cracked vessel/pot.........

Thanx again.

Hi Blot,

I read some of your previous postings.
    Your situations seem to be stressful. Your job, and your health problems. Don't try to do on oyur own, leave it to Jesus. (I know you are a christian)

Do you think you have GERD? or acid reflux? I saw, on the internet, many people suffering from GERD also suffer from anxiety. I guess it is because GERD affects on the breathing and swallowing difficulty in the throat. Any problem in the throat area seems to easily trigger FEAR, as heartattack does. So, if you think you have GERD, have some thorogh examination and find some way to reduce the symptoms.

However, controlling fear is, i think, a different manner. I think fear comes from some unknowns, but ultimately from the fear of death. So, you will have to remove the fear of death eventually...

I know you are a christian. Did you pray when you start to feel uncomfortable? Please trust me and DO PRAY! If you can not pray, only call on the name of Jesus repeatedly! Others can laugh, but you should not. Be prepared a BIBLE in your car, hold on to it while driving. Be prepared for any Worship CDs in your car, and listen to it while driving. Trust me it helps! Prayer will not disappoint you!

He RESTORES my soul.(Psalms 23:3)

Consider it PURE JOY, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)

Hallo Gofishing,

Your post is so reassuring to me! Yes, I absolutely prayed & that is why the panic attack was a mild one. I may very well have reflux as I find that I do suffer from indigestion & need to chew on a Gaviscon.

I am not sure that I fear death, I fear not being able to get to medical assistence if I need it. It freaks me out. Wow, I do not think I have verbalised that before!!

Along with the meds I am on, & the techniques I am trying, I pray & spend time reading God's Word. Yes, the past 6 months have certainly been a challenge as I have been unsettled. Moving from one's homeland, leaving family & friends behind is HUGE.I believe that it is the right move for me so I need to keep focused & look forward!

Thank you for your support!

Hiya Blot,
    You went 15 days without a panic attack, that's really good going. I'm going to attempt to beat your record.
    Just concentrate on the fact that 15 days without a panic attack is a big achievement.

all the best for another 15 days

mick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information