Thread: Thinking of Getting Back on Paroxetine...

Thinking of Getting Back on Paroxetine...

Hi, I was on Paroxetine for a little over two years, before gradually weaning off over the course of 3.5 months. I had little trouble getting off the medicine and was completely off in September. Paroxetine was great for anxiety and panic attacks, but it made me tired and I gained a good 15 pounds while on it. After a few months, my anxiety started to creep back again. In the end of December I went on citalopram. I have gradually gotten up to 25 mg, but it doesn't seem to be doing the job that paroxetine did.

I am thinking of switching back to paroxetine, but given the experiences of those here, i am scared. My doctor said the switch would be easy from citalopram to paroxetine, but I am not really convinced. Or I can continue on the citalopram and see if things improve. However, I am starting a new job in 3 weeks and would like to be somewhat stable by then. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Re: Thinking of Getting Back on Paroxetine...

Hi there,

Three weeks isn't much time to decide, swap and feel stable on a medication, that maybe alittle difficult, take your time in what you decide to do and wean yourself off carefully.

Seroxat/Paroxetine is a funny med, for some reason for the second time round it doesn't have quite the same affect. When I was taking this medication the doctor discussed it with me, but I still wanted to take the chance and go ahead as it too helped me so much the previous time. I did however find out exactly what she was talking about because it wasn't successful, it actually made me feel worse.

Have you considered a different medication altogether ?

Just my thoughts.

Good luck.

is that right - it doesnt work as well if you go on it again? that was always my helpful thought - if nothing else works i can go back on seroxat

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    is that right - it doesnt work as well if you go on it again? that was always my helpful thought - if nothing else works i can go back on seroxat
    Babs - I don't understand what you mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by minderaser13 View Post
    Hi, I was on Paroxetine for a little over two years, before gradually weaning off over the course of 3.5 months. I had little trouble getting off the medicine and was completely off in September. Paroxetine was great for anxiety and panic attacks, but it made me tired and I gained a good 15 pounds while on it. After a few months, my anxiety started to creep back again. In the end of December I went on citalopram. I have gradually gotten up to 25 mg, but it doesn't seem to be doing the job that paroxetine did.

I am thinking of switching back to paroxetine, but given the experiences of those here, i am scared. My doctor said the switch would be easy from citalopram to paroxetine, but I am not really convinced. Or I can continue on the citalopram and see if things improve. However, I am starting a new job in 3 weeks and would like to be somewhat stable by then. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
    Kendo seems to be in a similar position as yourself. Title - Worse ? Second time around. Thread under Seroxat/Paroxetine. I've also replied to his post too.

All the best x

Thanks for the replies. After discussing with my doctor, I am going to stick with citalopram for a while longer. I have improved while on citalopraml, just not where I want to be. However, I have a lot of change going on in my life--new job and recent break up from a long term relationship, so that might be adding to my anxiety and taking the citalopram a little longer to fully kick in.

Thread Information