Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: swallowing tablets

swallowing tablets

I got antibitoics, but they were big an uncoated!
    I can't swallow uncoated tablets, they melt in my mouth and stick to my throat.
    when I give my cat tablets I always coated it in butter..... so I put lots of cream cheese on my tablet, it was sticky, but the tablet didnt start to melt and the cheese tasted yummy. then i swallowed with some water.
    my throat does feel a bit funny because the tablet was so big.
    serioulsy I think uncoated tablets suck! they are very hard to swallow since they instantly start to melt!
    now I am going to try and not get anxious about side effects!

Re: swallowing tablets

Hey Mishel,

OMG can I sympathise with you. I am exactly the same way, I just can't swallow tablets. I take a gulp of drink with the tablet in my mouth and then feel like I just can't swallow and so it melts and its yuk and I panic.

I read somewhere that instead of bending your head back to swallow tablets, you should lean forward and it actually opens up your throat more and makes it easier. It does work but I am still panicked about it. Maybe you could try this next time. Just tilt head forward like you are touching your chin to your chest and see how it works for you.

At the moment I always break pills in half (or thirds) and do it that way.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone and I feel for you.

Take care.
    Natalie

Check with doc first but try taking them with a swig of milk (not skimmed but full fat)
    top tip...
    1. if tablet solid, tip head back to let gravity and lack of boyancy do the work of getting to back of throat
    2. if capsule (full of air and some med) tip forward and it will float to back of throat.
    ask doc if you can cut in half?

Some great tips, thanks for sharing them. I am taking quite a lot of medication, you would think I would be used to taking them, but still each day is a nightmare. I have to swallow each tablet one by one (11 on a night!) My friend takes a lot of meds too, she gets them all and swallows then all in one go - I gag watching her!

Hi

Breaking them up is a good idea. when i have problems taking tablets i make some jam and bread cut a little section off and hide in the tablet inside !

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

That's exactly what I do honeybee. Although there are many capsules you are not supposed to break open, the hidding the pill in some thick bread and jam is a great trick, always seems to work.

Try taking your tablets with a carbonated drink!

Pop the tablet(s) in your mouth. Take a large gulp of Cola or any carbonated drink, close your lips tightly and swallow.

The gas in the drink will expand your throat slightly. Also, the sensation of the bubbles 'popping' will make it seem like you are not swallowing a tablet at all.

(I suppose this original question should've been posted somewhere else rather than "TOP TIPS" section.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Try taking your tablets with a carbonated drink!
    Take a large gulp of Cola or any carbonated drink,
    Be careful! Cola should be avoided when you take pills, in my opinion.

By the way, I was choked up twice with pills...some other people can not understand this. I always ask any liquid form to Doctors...if they say NO, i ask if i can break it or not. Recently I was taking Mucinex just few times, and on the box, they say NOT to break it. But, I STILL break it in half. (one doctor said it is ok anyway) Sometimes, you need to ask more information to pharmacisits or doctors, even though drug company recommand NOT to break it. Some medicine targets to be digested NOT in stomuck but below there...sometimes breaking pills accelerates the absorption speed which supposed to be very cautious. If you decide to break it anyway NOT knowing any information, just be cautious and try smaller dose than recommanded and try more frequent with small dose. (Please I'm not a doctor, nor pharmacist, so, you have your own responsibility whether to take this advice or not)

But he was pierced for OUR transgressions,
    he was crushed for OUR iniquities;
    the punishment that brought US peace was upon him,
    and by his wounds WE are healed.
    (Isaiah 53:5 NIV)
    Last edited by gofishing; 19-02-09 at 18:40. Reason: editing

He RESTORES my soul.(Psalms 23:3)

Consider it PURE JOY, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)

Quote Originally Posted by Worrier View Post

At the moment I always break pills in half (or thirds) and do it that way.
    Me too! I try to avoid tablets whenever I can because I fear swallowing them so much, but when I have too I crush them inbetween two spoons until they are powder!

The things we do!

Caroline xx

I had SUCH issues with this, it was a real problem for me.

Gradually I could take very small pills, by pushing them with my tongue to the back of my throat. For me, I preferred not having water.

I agree, if they can be crushed, crush them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information