Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: swallowing tablets

Re: swallowing tablets

My mate used to chew paracetamol. This is back when the only kind you could get were the round slabs big enough to engrave the ten commandments on.

God only knows how he managed it. I'd have taken my chances and swallowed them whole to be honest.

Best advice is to cut big tablets in two. If you're not sure about whether it's safe to do that, phone your local pharmacy and ask them. I can't see why it wouldn't be safe to cut them up.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I have never been able to swallow any tablets without eating something with them I take several regular ones a day, plus painkillers, and if it isn't a meal time when I pop them in with food, I dunk a Rich Tea biscuit in a cup of tea and swallow the tablets with that! I dread the day when I may have to take something that can't be taken with food

OMG this is sooo me too.

The last lot of antibiotics I had for some dental work I just looked at the pharmacist and said "you've got to be joking right ... are these meant to go down my throat or up my &%^$. Actually I didn't get to say &%^$ cos my daughter intercepted and hurried me along !

I did break them open and added them to my morning smoothie - I took a nice full swig and then the taste exploded in my mouth like a cross between sewerage and turpentine . My daughters all then watched me run around the kitchen with a full mouth of the stuff not knowing what to do, finally deciding to spray it all over the draining board!!!

To cut a long and very dramatic story short I managed to consume my capsules with lots of face gurning , a few tears and cold flannel but I always choose (where you get a choice) to have either tablets you can crush or ones that are fizzy!

You have my upmost understanding!

Love Piglet

I know this sounds odd but I have to pretend to be pulling a chain down when I take a tablet and that way it goes down lol It does work for me though
    I always think I am going to choke

I swallow them with yoghurt-you cant feel it then! xx

If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolineB View Post
    Me too! I try to avoid tablets whenever I can because I fear swallowing them so much, but when I have too I crush them inbetween two spoons until they are powder!

The things we do!

Caroline xx
    With or without jam, Caroline?? My mum would always do the crushing and the jam trick, andIfind it invaluable when I'm sensitised with the choking problem.

Useful tips, people.

I don't know why it took me so long to learn that it's much easier to swallow them if you take the biggest gulp of water you can, than a timid sip.

I have to take five tablets at night every night. I put them in my palm and then drink as much water as I can several gulps. If any get stuck then I usually drink lots of water. Tablets usually have to be swallowed with water. I know that I'm not allowed to drink hot tea directly after swallowing my lithium.

Highly recommend to drink tablets with the plenty of water, as I have experience of swalowing them before bed at night witout any drink and i end up having burned pipes. After that i felt like my throat an pipes were scratched aching and i couldnt eat for days.

It was just laisiness to get down and get a glass of water.

I used to have trouble swallowing tablets but now I imagine that there is nothing in my mouth (easier said than done I know) and take a huge swig of water, keeping my throat as relaxed as possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information