Thread: Coming off citalopram

Coming off citalopram

Hello,
    I had been on citalopram for 12 months for anxiety and palpatations which led to depression. I started on 20mg for 11 months and was also taking propanalol for the first 6 months.

In January of this year I was reduced to 10mg of citalopram as I felt I needed to come off the drug and cope independently with my anxiety.

The first week of no citalopram was very difficult. I suffered from waves/rushes of what felt like adrenaline, almost every 5-10 minutes. I was dizzy and felt emotionally drained and flat. I felt distant and found it difficlt to concentrate.

It does't help when you are worrying about wether you are supposed to be feeling the way you are. Or wether your body is not coping with the change. I was close to going back on the tablets, but saw that as giving in and as the easy option. I knew that I would only have to go through this again at a later date. I didn't want to just put it off.

Even though I am still suffering with feeling low and almost bursting into tears at the slightest thing, I am only getting the waves/rushes every couple of days which is sure sign of improvement. I am able to control my breathing when I feel my heart begin to race which stops me from having an attack. I just keep thinking positive and reminding myself of who I am and to just relax and be myself.

I have no doubt in my mind that it is going to take a good few months to feel totally calm. The body takes time to re-aline. Accepting this is helping me everyday. Nothing like this can right itself overnight!

I would love to hear from anyone who has come off citalopram, and wether they have suffered from any side effects like me.

kristy x

Re: Coming off citalopram

Kristy
    Thats a coincidence. What you are describing sounds exactly what I am experiencing now and I have just *started* (exactly 4 weeks in) taking 20mg. Is this something you recognise? Perhaps its the same either end??

Thumbs up Re: Coming off citalopram

Hello Bob47,

I'd say it probably is the same as starting. The body will be going through the same change, just the other way around. I suppose just as I had to adjust to being on citalopram, I will have to adjust to not being on it.
    (I'll have a while to wait then, until I feel myself again!)

Now that I think back, when I first started the 20mg dose I experienced the same symptoms as now. It's hard to remember as once you have been on them for a time, you forget that you experienced those symptoms in the beginning. I guess that is why it is a little bit of a shock for me right now to be dealing with feeling this way again and having to regain control of myself once more.

As for yourself don't worry, I know it's difficult but you will feel a whole lot better soon. Try not to worry about feeling as though you are not benefiting from them in any way. You will only make yourself feel worse by worrying unecessarily! In time you will notice them working and won't feel anywhere near as bad as you are feeling at present.

I don't regret taking it. For me it helped me to get back into feeling like I could handle eachday when I woke up, rather than worrying about how I was going to feel that day!!

You have actually made me realise how far I have come and how different (in a positive way) I am now, to how I was back when I started.

Keep in contact. I'm happy to help if you need it. Good luck

Kristy x

Just a quick question then Kristy - do you remember when all the side effects went? I understand that its different for different folk, but can you recall how long? I only ask as I have had an up & down 4 weeks and would like to have a time frame maybe

Bob

About 6 weeks in all. But as you say it's different for everybody.

kristy x

Hi, I had been on Citalopram for just over four months and my doc took me off them last week and I am suffering terrible dizzy spells, feeling faint and have gone back very tearful again. Its comforting to know I am not the only one feeling like this. I am very close to going back on them as I feel so low at the moment its been 10 days since my last tablet but I know I will have to go through it all again. How are you feeling now?

Hello Pussycat ! sorry to hear you are feeling bad at the moment.You say your Dr took you off these 10 days ago,what dose were you taking ? and did you taper before you stopped taking them? It will take a while for these to clear from your system and the withdrawal effects depend on how high a dose you were on when you stopped . Take care Sue ,x

this is my 7th day off the pills n still gettin side effects but there easing a bit lets hope by next week theyll b gone;-]

Hi madelaine,

What side effects are/were you having??

Thread Information