Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is anxiety?

What exactly is anxiety?

My GP has diagnosed me as suffering from anxiety. Problem is, I'm not sure if I know what it is to be honest. I have all sorts of weird symptoms yet was fine until about two months ago. The GP sent me to the hospital to have an ECG and a chest x-ray in order to put my mind at rest. However, while the x-ray came back as normal, he has sent me to have another ECG as the other one showed up what he called a normal variant (or something like that). He said it wasn't dangerous, but was sending me for another test as it could have been caused through a virus for example or be just the way I am. I have read a few people on this board saying exercise has relieved their symptoms which has much interest for me. I used to be really fit until about a year ago through running and cycling, but it has fell by the wayside this year because of a number of things that have happened. I would like to get back to the fitness thing, but my symptoms make me think I will faint or worse if I over exert myself. I feel really light headed at times and feel as if I am going to faint and my heart starts to beat faster. My GP prescribed citalopram, but because of the nature of my work I would have to declare to my employers that I was taking them and I don't want them to know my business so I haven't tried them yet. I would like to give them a go to see if they help as I can't go on much longer like this. It's really doing my head in. Does this sound like anxiety? Or panic even? Just typing this out helps actually, so expect more inane ramblings from the crispy one before too long

Definetly tghe symptoms. I have just recently got back into
    exercising (jazzercise) and I love it but it has taken me awhile to do as I worry about my breathing and heart rate and getting dizzy.
    I have a friend that has had to push me there more than once and after I feel great. The exercise as I read is the best and at this point I rely on it. I think of it as running away from axiety.
    If you are willing to take medication to help, why not do the natural thing and feel good with no side effects. You drink lots of water while doing your exercise increase your health and if you were to get sick this in turn is your best defense. I could write a book about anxiety symptoms. Continue posting until you cover your basis.

Trina

Hi Crispy

Anxiety is a normal response to a stressor , so something stressful where you feel fear or apprehension.

An anxiety disorder is when our response (either physical or in our thoughts) are out of proportion to the stressor ie getting very stressed and upset to go out shopping - an everyday activity.

The net effect is that we don't cope very well with these triggers or stressors and perhaps try to avoid them or think about them much of the time.

'I would like to get back to the fitness thing, but my symptoms make me think I will faint or worse if I over exert myself. I feel really light headed at times and feel as if I am going to faint and my heart starts to beat faster.'

You have an innappropriate fear of returning to fitness from your thoughts causing you to feel fear,(in absence of a physical illness) which is then translated into physical symptoms of fight and flight which is a response created by your nervous system.

On a scale of 1 - 10.

Asleep is a 1
    Calm is a 3
    Everyday life is a 5
    Anxious a 7
    Anxiety attack an 8
    Panic would be a 10 .

The aim of people with panic attacks when they start to heal is to talk themselves down from a potential panic attack to an anxiety attack, which doesn't involve a large whoosh of adrenaline.

Then they often plateau there a while and then learn to diffuse any situation so they don't even escalate to an anxiety attack.

Does that help ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

hi,crispy.i started having "the panics"about 7 months ago.i still cant make any sense of it all .i,m 45 physically fit and until this happened i thought of myself as "reasonably"confident.i,m o.k. at work (mostly!)with me its shopping and driving that are the big problems.i also feel as though i,m going to faint in those situations .do you faint at other times ?if not its very,very unlikely you will faint during a panic attack .my gp has been so helpful one of the best bits of advice i was given was to "watch"my breathing as shallow breathing can make a panic attack worse so i try to breathe "properly" and i find it helps .i guess there are no magic answers but this is a really good site with loads of people who will empathise with exactly what you,re going through .take care. stephen.

Crispy
    Definately sounds like anxiety to me, and feeling faint (while not fainting) is a classic symptom. Browse these boards and I'm sure you'll find a lot of reassurance. I've found exercise helps, as does learning to breathe and relax properly and, in the end, acceptance of the condition and yourself. It might be frustrating trying to find what works for you, but keep going. Personally I shy away from drugs (apart from alcohol) but again, whatever gets you through the night (or day!) Good luck, keep posting.

Jim

Thanks for the replies everyone. There's nothing in particular that brings these feelings on. I can feel fine one minute, then as if I'm going to pass out the next. I also get this weird, spaced out "vague" feeling as well. And Jim, you mentioned alcohol. I don't like to drink now as I had a really bad panic attack the day after a drinking spree (admittedly I had drank way too much the night before), so now the slightest hint of a hangover leaves me feeling panicky. Pity, as I am quite partial to a drink (ahem). As for the exercising...well my GP said there is no physical reason why I can't resume my training, but it's these feelings I get. They do scare me sometimes.

I get anxious "for no reason".

The reason that you are anxious with no defined trigger is that you are not relaxed.

I have just started going to the gym, and it has made a huge difference to me. It really has. It is the one place where I cannot "worry" about how I;m feeling, whether I feel sick, my breathing is not right, my heart isn't beating properly etc., because I am too tired and aching to do so!

Start keeping a little diary. I find that if I over indulge the night before, I am gittery and anxious the next day. This accompanies my hangover.

Now I know this I can use it to my advantage. If I have got something on the next day, I DON'T drink too much the night before. If I have nothing to do the next day, I allow myself to have a drink, knowing that I am quite likely to feel panicky the next day, BUT I don't allow myself to worry about feeling panicky, as I know it's alcohol induced.

We are all scared, but without sounding too harsh, the more you refrain from doing things because of scarey feelings, the harder it becomes to do anything. Often I have to "force" myself to do things, but ultimately you will feel better from doing them, and life in general stops being so scarey.

So make it a new years resolution to exercise twice a week. And remember, exercise can also include things like yoga, which is very good for relaxation, and might help your problem.

Good luck

Charlie

Hi Crispy

The only thing I can add to these great replies is that you could just try some gentle exercise like swimming. That will help with the breathing as well cos you will tend to breathe normally as you swim along.

Keep your chin up and just take things slowly.

Nicola

Hi Crispy,

You might want to consider really looking after yourself properly for a month and give yourself a chance to heal.

Quit caffiene, stop alcohol, get exercising and learn real relaxation and correct breathing techniques, start a Vit B complex and get as much sleep as possible.

After a month review it and reintroduce gently the things you're really missing but do give your system a chance to recover.

I would also suggest you think about what goes on in your thoughts moments before an attack. For some its the fear of being alone and being 'sure' something awful is going to befall you, for others the physical symptoms are so scary, for others - it's being out with strangers and thinking you're going to go crazy etc . We all have our individual foibles.

It may take a few go's to figure it out but this is the biggest favour you can do for yourself. After that , you're pretty much on the last bend before the finishing line, the home straight is practising erradicating it.

Once you've worked out what are your personal triggers and thoughts, then you can start to challenge them and set up some positive affirmations and mantras and techniques to get you through difficult situations.

We're all here to help you through it , take the time to help yourself.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

It's not just scarey feelings I have though. I am convinced I have something seriously wrong with me as I keep getting pains and twinges in my chest. Sometimes I feel a little short of breath and light headed. Is this normally associated with anxiety.

Radar, the month of really looking after myself is a really interesting point. I am going to try this once the festive period is over. Do you mind me asking what the Vit B complex is for? And could you recommend something for me to by (vit B)? So many questions, but everyone is really helpful. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information