Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counselling experiences

Counselling experiences

Just wondering what people’s experiences of counselling are? I was seeing someone for over a year and to be honest she didn’t really say much!! I got fed up with it in the end and made the decision to find someone else. Had the initial getting to know you session and she seems so much better already, more of a conversation and she made notes when I was speaking. Start seeing her properly from next week.

I think I’m just asking how do other people’s sessions go?

Re: Counselling experiences

Hi Adam, your first counsellor sounds like mine, she just sat there , listened, didnt offer any input. The silences made me feel awkward so id ramble onjust to break it hoping that she would speak at some point, id end up asking her what she thought and she would turn it back to me for an answer. Said she wasnt allowed to "give advice" it wasnt advice i wanted, it was some sort or reassurance or something, anything ! I told her i felt better so i didnt have to go back. Since then iv decided i wont see a counsellor again if i need to i would go and see a physcotherapist next time . I got the impression that counsellors are just listeners only . It sounds like youv found the right one this time and i hope it goes well for you... Love Paige x

Hi Paige,

I think you may be right about councillors’. The new person I’m about to start seeing is a physiotherapist I believe so fingers crossed. I will report back after a few sessions.

Adam

hiya

i started counselling 8 weeks ago and have my last one next week it has made no diffrence in the way i feel at all ,all she has done is sit and say hmm yes right the whole time i would say to people to try it but dont hold out any hope of a big change in the way you feel didnt help me at all

jodie xx

I will be leaving my therapist after 3 1/2 years . She has changed my life around and given me life. I have been lucky to have got a good one . I am going to miss her and that hurts, i am scared about her not being there, but i know that she is proud of me and i will not let her down. She is part of me on the inside and the way i think now. I hope others manage to find a therapist as good as mine.
    Spotty x

I use to see a councellor and she never spoke-it use to drive me mad! I found myself talking rubbish just to fill in the awkward silent moments! I dont see how that could ever help and it made me feel quite stressed having to go. I stopped going after about a month as I thought it was a complete waste of time.
    Like you said Paige I dont think councellors are the right people to go to, we need people that can talk to us and not just nod!

Kelly xx

I saw a Psychotherapist who was absolutley terrible and made me feel very anxious and uncomfortable. I then saw a wonderful counsellor for just over 18 months which helped me a lot, I was finally able to speak about my childhood abuse for the first time.
    A few years later I was reffered to another Psyhcotharapist who was really nice. She wanted me to do 6 months intensive therapy which I agreed to. I later got very anxious and afraid, I stopped going.
    One thing that really upset me was I was told my counselling was confidential and would be kept that way unless I said anything that may suggest I was in danger. Last year my CPN asked about my abuse as it was in my records. I wouldn't have opened up so much if I knew that that it would be put in my notes.
    take care xxx

Only my opinion,but councellors are like social workers who have no children.Well read,but actually know nothing.
    Last edited by mickh555; 01-03-09 at 17:02.

Had my first proper session and already she’s a million times better than the previous one. Much more a two way conversation, no uncomfortable silences. Felt a bit more positive, hopefully this will help. Time will tell, I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

The last counsellor I saw was very good and I would recommend talking therapy to anyone. If you aren't happy with your counsellor, get another one -- especially if you're paying for their time!

A good counsellor will let you do most of the talking, as they encourage you to find your own problems and solutions.

If you've got a lot to say they will probably prefer to let you get it all off your chest without interrupting. They should occasionally prompt you and ask you to go back over things or clarify things you say, they shouldn't remain totally silent all the time.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information