Thread: Blue Badge help needed.

Blue Badge help needed.

Hi ya all,

I have recently applied for a blue badge and also got a letter supporting my claim through Anxiety UK, with regard to my agoraphobia and panic attacks.

I have found out today that I have been refused and am going to appeal on the grounds that other people have sucessfully gained a blue badge due to their agoraphobia and panic attacks.

Anxiety UK have been great and have told me to appeal and even go to my MP.

I would be grateful any of you guys in the UK could tell me the City Councils of whom they have sucessfully gained the blue badge due to their panic and agoraphobia.

Any other advice would be greatfully received.

Cheers
    Simon x

Re: Blue Badge help needed.

Simon

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and read the "similar threads"

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Simon - I am not sure you can get a blue badge from having panic attacks as recently getting blue badges has been tightened right up. Though it does seem to depend on what your local council's views are. (I work for a local council so know these things).
    Some council's are saying they are only issuing them to people with a 'severe mental impairment' - but then they are looking at things like autism, some are only giving them to people with mental health issues who are receiving the higher levels of disability living allowance benefits? But I dont think panic attacks are coming under these?
    Other councils are only giving it for those with dementia?
    My advice is to contact the concessionary travel dept in your local council and gain their advice first, see what they say. Then speak to your doctor, see if he can write a letter helping you. Some council's now have outsourced the company that handles who gives out the blue badges, and if this is so you will have to go to them and not your doctor, which might not help.
    But the first thing to do is see what criteria you have to meet first of all.
    But a word of warning, if you dont meet the criteria, you can complain all you like, you wont get the badge.

Sue

Hi,

I have a blue bagde not for the Anxiety but as I have a messed up knee.

Filling out the forms, it is mostly about if you cant walk far, or use your arms. I dont think Anx will get anywhere with having one. To paying machines in car parks etc... but it doesnt add for anx as I put it on my form and it said It cant be used for that. so Re-applyed and they contacted my doc.

Speak to your Doctor about it. they should help.

nx

I also have one but because I have physical mobility problems and get the high rate mobility DLA.

I'm not sure mental health problems are covered.

Karen

Thread Information