Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about MND

Unhappy Worried about MND

For the past month i have been getting pins and needles in my left foot, plus my hands feel stiff and weak - i've now convinced my self that i have mnd.
    I had the same symptons 8 years ok and also about 8 years before that , on theses occassions i convinced myself i had MS and then that i was having small strokes. I had neuro checks that were fine. I feel very anxious and depressed. I try to tell myself that this is just anxiety and that mnd is very rare , but the panic just takes over. I keep trying to see GP , but i can't face going . Could this all be anxiety.
    Please advise..

Smile Re: Worried about MND

Dear PB,

I'm sure it is your anxiety causing the symptoms. Whenever I'm feeling
    anxious my fingers stiffen and go numb, the more I panic the more numb they
    become. Try to distract yourself and be reassured with the medical advice you
    received last time, if it would put your mind at rest go back to the doctors, it
    can't be worse than the way you're feeling now.

Good luck

Re: Worried about MND

Thank you for your advice - i really must try to see GP. I know my anxiety is making symptons worse.

I know it's scary but the doctor will reassure you.

A-J

MND/ALS is not a disease that has any form of sensory symptoms and therefore pins and needles are no way indicative of it. The defining presentation of MND is objective and clinical weakness which you do not have and therefore you do not have MND.

Yes, it is very common for physical anxiety to cause neurological symptoms and these are often misinterpreted as MS etc. See my thread 'for newcomers worried about MS'.

Still so worried today. went to use keyboard at work and felt that left hand wouldn't move and again jumped to conclusion that i must have mnd.
    Also waking up with strange headaches around ears for about two weeks.
    My anxiety just feels so out of control .....

please don't worry. Over the past 2 years I have been to the neurologist approx 8 tiimes and have had 3 brain scans (asked for by me!!). I have had all the checks for MS, MND, Parkinsons etc and all clear. I too had symptoms like you but Neuro insists I have severe anxiety and it is feeding on itself. I get extreme dizziness and headaches as well as the pins and needles and hand, foot stiffness. See a GP if that makes you feel better but I find my GP panics me when he doesn't know what is causing my symptoms! Still 2 years on I think I have something seriously wrong but EVERYONE is telling me to stop worrying. Anxiety is an illness and it is certainly making ME ill. Try not to worry!

Dear pb I am sorry that you are suffering from such distressing health anxiety. My dear mother died of MND in 1988. Her illness was progressive and towards the end she couldn't speak, swallow walk or talk. She was already needing help to breathe as the illness had robbed her of the use of her throat muscles. She could not swallow and used a wheelchair. The illness started in the way that you describe pins and needles and tingling limbs but that is where the differences end. It progrssed as she would fall over as her legs would give way from underneath her. I feel pretty certain that you haven't got MND but I think that maybe your health anxiety is a reaction to something going on which is distressing to you in your own life. After my mum died I waas diagnosed as being asthmatic (very real and physical symptom) One day at work I thought I couldn't breathe or swallow. I thought I was getting MND. It was all very distressing I even went to casualty but was told it was severe acid indigestion. In my mind I still think that I might get it although I have been told there is (as yet ) no familiar link. I have learn to deal with the grief I felt for my mums untimely death. I hope that you are to find some inner peace.

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    For the past month i have been getting pins and needles in my left foot, plus my hands feel stiff and weak - i've now convinced my self that i have mnd.
    I had the same symptons 8 years ok and also about 8 years before that , on theses occassions i convinced myself i had MS and then that i was having small strokes. I had neuro checks that were fine. I feel very anxious and depressed. I try to tell myself that this is just anxiety and that mnd is very rare , but the panic just takes over. I keep trying to see GP , but i can't face going . Could this all be anxiety.
    Please advise..
    Hi pb.
    one of my very best friends died from MND 4 years ago. She ws very young and it took hold of her very quickly. She didn't have many pins and needles she just lost the use of all her muscles over a period of time.I am pretty sure that after all this time you would have been diagnosed with MS or MND by now. I get pins & needles and all sorts of pains all over my body. The whole body is covered in nerve endings and unfortuately anxiety plays havoc with every inch of your body. Just try to remember that these vile feelings and sensations are just that. - feelings and sensations. Anxiety is hateful isn't it.

Just a reminder that because somebody who has MND/ALS also has oins and needles this doesn't mean that the MND/ALS is causing them...it is perfectly possible that the 2 are unrelated.

I have to stress that MND/ALS is a disease that involves the death of the muscle horn cells followed the subsequent death of the muscles themselves. MND/ALS is not a disease that effects the sensory system and pins and needles, numbness etc is not a symptom of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information