Thread: Changing meds!!!

Changing meds!!!

Hi all,
    I'm currently taking Sertraline and I'm finding it's not working as well as it should. I can't increase the dose because I can't tolerate the side-effects in the higher doses. So that leads with no choice but to change to something else.

My question is what can I change to?

I've tried nearly all the SSRI medications that are in the book and my therapist really doesn't know what we can do next. I've been on citalopram, paroxetine, fluoxetine, and now sertraline. Seeing as doctors tend to only like prescribing SSRI meds (because they are newer and safer to use) it makes it difficult to find something else. I'm aware there are other anti-depressants (older ones) but from what I've gathered they have quite a few extreme side-effects and I'm just wondering if anyone here is on one of those for anxiety and depression just to give an opinion.

There are two medications that I've been told they prescribe if SSRIs aren't working but I've been informed there are very mixed results. These are mirtzapine and venlafaxine - both of which I hear are reasonably new. I tried one anti-depressant before that wasn't an SSRI called Roboxetine but it was horrible and I couldn't tolerate it which makes me scared about trying anything outiside the safety of SSRIs.

So if anyone could share an opinion on the matter it would greatly ease my mind.

Thanks

Re: Changing meds!!!

There are lots more! Has anyone ever suggested escitalopram as it is a stronger version of citalopram with fewer side effects,
    20mg Citalopram = 10mg Escitalopram
    I recently switched to Duloxetine which is an SNRI it works in a similar way to SSRI's but acts on norpinephine and serotonin. Its used for depression and anxiety, might be worth a try, so far so good for me!
    Good luck
    xx

I've been on Mirtazapine (just come off it) I had side effects like weight gain and swollen ankles, which wasn't nice but they're great if you have trouble sleeping but can knock you a bit dopey for a few weeks.

My partner has taken Venlafaxine on 2 separate occasions and found it to be very helpful mood wise, he just had a bit of nausea initially and some tinitus on higher doses but apart from that it was ok.

It's horrible trying to find the one that works for you, I really feel for you as I have tried 5 different ones and now I'm off the Mirtazapine I'm going it alone.

Escitalopram, hmm I think I've heard of this. So this basically is the new citalopram then? When I tried Citalopram it helped my anxiety but actually made me more depressed and at times, suicidal - no other med did this to me apart from that one. So as you can imagine, I feel a little bit worried about maybe trying anything similar to citalopram again.

I have a friend who is on Mirtzapine, he's been on it for a few months and he's changed dramatically on it. Like me he didn't get any real benefit on the SSRIs and Mirtzapine has made him into a completely different person and it has really helped him change his life around. But, at the same time he has gained 2 stone in weight so understandably, the side-effects of that med scare me a lot. He was very skinny to begin with so it wasn't that much of a problem for him, but I don't think 2 stone on top of my weight at 12 stone wouldn't be that great for me.

Venlafaxine and Duloxetine seem very interesting, Venlafaxine scares me a bit because it has apparently some of the worst withdrawal effects for whenever you decide to come off. I know that is a long way off, but it just scares me.

I've heard some people saying that older meds in the tricyclics group are very effective for people who don't respond well to SSRIs. However once again the side-effects are more extreme, such as weight-gain, nausea, tiredness etc. If anyone is on or has tried a med from the tricylcics group I would be grateful for your input concerning these meds.

Thanks

Was on Lofepramine for a time a while ago. Can't remember if it caused me any obvious side effects but don't really remember a positive effect on mood either. It was just another one on the list that didn't do much!

Thread Information