Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fibroids...

Re: Fibroids...

ive got a fibroid it was detected in an ultrasound internal scan i was told if have probs with it to go back that was over a year ago now and it seems ok for the mo

I had an ovarian cyst for 18 months which got biggish then on the next scan had gone.

I've also got the beginnings of fibroids which they told me about when I was being checked for the cyst and like they told Nic they don't often do anything about them because apparently as you get older they tend to shrink away again.

As far as I am aware they wouldn't be able to detect fibroids from a smear test cos you're not in quite the right area ie: they are just looking at the top of your 'lady garden' not at the 'compost heap' so to speak!

Nic I hope you feel better very soon from the urine infection.

Love Piglet

Sounds as if your fibroids aren't giving you any trouble then they are best left well alone. If they are large or causing you to have very painful periods then maybe they could be removed. This isn't as easy as it sounds if you want to preserve your fertility. In my case I had a hysterectomy as fibroids were one of the problems that were found. As you grow older then you are more likely to grow fibroids. I dont know why. Also if you haven't had children and are older ie in your forties they are more likely to grow.

No for a pap smear the doc check your cervic and make sure that everything is okay no cervical cancer and they also check for any STD abnormal pap smear. For Fibroids they do a pelvic exam, I know bc I had a pap smear done everything came back fine but when I went in for a check up I told the doc that I was having lower abdonminal, back pain so he scheduled me for a pelvic exam (ultrasound) and results came back with fibroid on uterus

A lot of women have fibroids - they are harmless but can ocassionally cause you problems. Mine was in an awkward position and was giving me extremely heavy periods - leading to chronic amoemia.

I had mine removed - there are lots of new techniques which preserve your fertility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information