Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I get a dog?

Should I get a dog?

I know in America you can get therapy dogs and you can take that dog anywhere. it has the same rights as a guide dog.
    I was thinking of getting a kitten as a friend for my cat.
    now I'm thing of maybe getting a toy poodle. I love poodles and hope some day to own a big one!
    but the toy size which is 15 inches from the dogs shoulder in height, I could keep it in my small two bedroom house with my small garden.
    it wouldn't need a lot of walking and I walk my cat anyways.
    I could take it with me most places because of it's size and I could even carry it around in one of those little dog bags if i go into shops.
    I'm pretty sure I can take it on a bus or a train as long as it's in a dog carrier.
    I guess I think a little dog would help my agoraphobia but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or maybe I'm just being silly.

Re: Should I get a dog?

hi mishel
    no i dont think you are being silly at all. i am agoraphobic too and i have a golden retriever. iam so thankful that i have her.everyday i take her out for walks and it has helped my agoraphobia so much. i know i have to take her out weather i have a bad day or not. i think a dog would help you get out of the house. dogs do have a way of keeping your mind off yourself
    debera
    x x

if you haven't had a dog before think very carefully. They are high maintenance compared to cats. I have cats and had a fantastic springer spaniel until Xmas. Sadly he had to be euthanased. It broke my heart. The downside of dog ownership alas x

Mishel

It's not a silly idea at all hun. You seem to have thought it out very well and looked at the the practical issues.

If this is something you would love and care for then i say go for it.

Love Lisa
    xxx

Hi Mishel

I think it is a great idea, I wouldn't be without my dogs and they certainly do make me make an effort to go outside each day. As Lisa said you do seem to have thought things through so I think it would be a very good idea. Dogs bring alot of pleasure into our lives I used to have 5 and now I am down two 2. I always feel more confident when I am out and have my dogs with me and I have met some really nice people out whilst dog walking.

Carol

Hi Mishel,

I think animals are one of the best medicines in the world. My little dog follows me everywhere I go and has replaced my toddler son since he has grown into a teen now, lol. Somehow she senses when I am down, ill, happy, playful, etc. Truly Amazing! If you are looking for unconditional love go get your little friend. Yes, there may be some work involved but in the end you get much more than you give!

Love,

Brandi's Mom

After a really bad spell of depression just after xmas me hubby thought that having a puppy would help.
    We bought a shizhu and called him stanley.
    Hes given me a reason to get up and go out.
    What a lovely breed of dog. He gets on brill with our 16 month old grandaughter. They are the best of mates.
    Years ago we had a poodle and she too had a lovely temperment.
    I would love to know what you decide.
    Best of luck.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

I say get a dog!! I got one to help me and I try and go further each day with him xx

My west higland terriers beautful eyes make everything worth while. i love him. Hes like my baby and id do anything for him. I think the opportunity to poor your love in to something that deserves it is a great idea. You could prob do dog shows as well. That will help with the agrophobia.

Hi Mishel

I think dogs are great therapy. I have 4 of my own - 1 cross breed and 3 Greyhounds and I also have a foster dog that is also a Greyhound. They give me unconditional love, are great listeners and don't tell me to shut up when I sing!

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and you seem as if you have more than enough love to share with a dog, why not go for it?

There are a lot of good rescues about, including the dogs trust. They ascess each dog and would be able to guide you on which dog would be best for you and your home circumstances.

Good luck xxxx

Just an after thought, you could always ask if you can foster a dog first to see how things go.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information