Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Swallowing / throat problems / Being strangled!

Hi Nic,

I also get the gagging and sore throat.

I find that the sore throat is due to continually trying to clear it and just being aware of it all the time.

kate xx

I've got the sore throat thing as we speak. It's almost like a bitter sweet, sickly ache above my Adams apple which I get when I swallow hard. Swallowing hard tightens my throat up so much until it has momentary spasms and I almost gag. I know exactly when it's going to happen though JUST after my subconcious has started it off. Bizarre....

Hope it settles down soon Nic!

Best Wishes,

Mark x

I'm soooooo pleased to read this!! A few months back, i'd gone to bed with a sore throat, felt like lump in my throat. couldn't sleep and felt if i laid on my back it would choke me, if i laid in my side i couldn't breath. In the end i rang NHS direct (at 2am!) and by the time they rang back i was FINALLY asleep (woke me up!). the next day my hubby was working 7am til 8pm and i was home alone with the children (something that makes/made me worse). I was petrified cos i honestly felt i had something lodged in my throat. I even tried sticking my fingers down my throat to throw it up (and i have a phobia of sick!) - NOTHING!! Needless to say i survived (once i'd calmed down it eased off).

Anyway, on Saturday i went into town with Hubby mid morning ( a HUGE no no for me - its a small town so always looks busier than it is!), we didn't have our son with us (only daughter in buggy) so decided to have a mooch round a few shops. When i entered town i felt like i had a sick lump in my throat, within half hour it had become worse and i resorted to a safety behaviour and brought a bottle of water (even thought i wouldn't have drunk it for fear of making me sick!). We queued in the VERY busy post office (note to self end of month is pay day AND tax for cars!! AVOID!) and i felt horrid. It dissappeared almost as soon as we left town although this was not noted by me til much later. That night i was sat in bed and felt it again, asked hubby if he thought i had throat cancer and maybe i should go to Doc to have a camera shoved up my nose and down my throat (which would make me sick!!) and he said don't be silly you're fine. Looked up throat cancer on the net and NO i do not have ANY of the symptoms!!!

I now KNOW it was an anxiety thing and i think its from when my throat/mouth gets dry you get that feeling.

HOPEFULLY in time it will go altogether. For now i curse my mum for telling me that sucking my hair (when i was a kid) would create a hairball in my throat that if i kept sucking my hair would block my throat!!! Good old parents!!!

Kerry

http://frankielampard.proboards55.com/index.cgi

Kerry

It is very very common and a few of us on here are suffering with it at the moment.

I still have a sore throat so will see what doc says about that.

It is good recognise that it is just anxiety though.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

That is exactly how I get it kerry and I too have a phobia of vomit (am attending CBT for it at the minute).

It's amazing how coming back to your comfort zone can relieve it so quickly but then it can reappear from no where and cause you just as much distress at home!

The pattern I experience is.... if I'm feeling ok and I go out and deal with it, even though I'm feeling anxious and my throat feels strangled, I carry on trying to ignore it as best I can even though there is a certain level of anxiety (sometimes a lousy level!). Coming back home to the safe zone relieves those symptoms greatly. However, if I'm already at home and get those symptoms, there is no safe zone to go back to, I'm in it and it's then I realise I have to find that safe zone in me.... Something that others have mentioned on here....

Just an observation of my own anxieties behaviour,

Mark

This forum is great for understanding each others problems with anxiety.. I too, have the throat thing, where something feels like it is stuck in there. There's no pain, but it so annoying that all you can do is think about it all the time. Finally when your mind is on something else you realise its gone. I have been to my GP with different symptons of anxiety on several occasions, and now I feel like I am just a nuisance.

But you guys listen, and thats so good!

Hales

Hi all.
    I must admit I was quite happy to see this subject matter as this is something I have had on more than one occasion I have and its one that really gets on my nerves big time.
    I never seem to get this for a few days or weeks when I get it I get it for very long periods I have it now and I can say this whole swallowing thing is so annoying it drives me bonkers at times at the moment I have had this going on for the last four months ( every single day ).

These are my symptoms I do not get these ( lump in the throat and a felling of choking ) I get nothing more than I find it hard to swallow its like my swallowing reflex has deserted me , if I sit down to eat a say a nice crusty roll for my tea with a bag of crisps and a nice cupper it can ( and yesterday it did ) take me one hour to eat.

Now while I have no sore throat and it does not feel like there’s a lump in it or feel sick it is a right pain in the backside for the last four months I have had this day in day out and it gets to be annoying more than anything else!

This is the second time I have had this the last time was 14 years ago when my children were young it got on my nerves and I had good reason to be hacked off about it now looking back ( this was the first time I ever had this ) and it lasted one year - not on an off - but every single day it got to the point everything I placed in my mouth food wise I had to take a sip of water to get it down just like taking a pill.

Thank God this is not quite as bad its been 4 months and the thing that annoys me the most is sometimes the harder I try to relax the worse it gets.

Then I saw a article on swallowing and it pointed out that these symptoms were linked with cancer , that got me thinking negative thoughts for around one hour then I just mentally gave myself a kick up the backside and said to myself come on Gary you have been here before and had it for a year if it was cancer you would not be here now , sometimes more often than not I do give myself a ****** good telling off I think that’s a good thing as who wants to go down the “oh my God” road , I don’t

So there you go my old enemy is back to haunt me and like the rest of you posting it really is the real “ pain in the neck “ embarrassing as well if you ever try eating in public !

Anyone else out there get only the one symptom like me !
    All I get is ( I find it hard to swallow nothing more than that ) and I would also be very interested in if anyone else out there has had this for long periods at a time so far this bout has lasted four months , but the previous time it last a year on both of these times its been a every single day thing never on an off.

Would love to here from others about the lengths of these bouts of finding it hard to swallow.

Sorry to anyone out there if you think this post is to long [8)]

Be Well Gary

Down in the park where the Machmen meet the Machines and play kill by numbers , Down in the park with friends of mine! Down in the park where the chant is death , death , death , until the sun cries morning. Down in the park with a friend called Five.

Hi all,
    I'm feeling so fed up. I didnt want to start yet another throat topic so thought I would tack it on the end here, not sure if anyone will read it though.
    I have a sore throat :s why oh why is it always my throat that causes me problems :( Its only a sore throat and its only come on today but of course I'm already worrying it is a signal that I now will have the rest of the throat feelings to come such as the dreaded food sticking in throat one. Already my neck is beginning to feel really tender, I was told this was due to muscle tension in the neck.
    Why cant I accept that its just anxiety? instead I worry its going to get worse and it will result in all the panic and worries about throat cancer yet again.
    I thought things were getting better. This morning I felt brilliant I have been listening to a Paul McKenna cd which has helped me loads and this morning I decided to enrol for a college course which will start in November. Thing were beginning to look up :(
    I thought I had this anxiety lark sorted in my head but obviously not

lucy x

Lucy

I have had a sore throat since I started this topic so I have now made an appointment for next Monday (the earliest I could get to see any doctor on any day and at any time).

I really didn't want to cos I think he may prescribe anti-biotics seeing as I have had it so long.

I am still struggling with swallowing and have been sick a few times now cos I feel as though I can't swallow properly. Yesterday morning I took a tablet and then 5 minutes later was sick as it seemed to be stuck in my throat.

Horrid aint it?

Meg suggested I get some antiseptic mouth wash and have a good gargle with that.

I hope yours feels better soon.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

I have had a funny throat for a couple of days now. Its a funny pain like a tightening every now and again. I seem to be swallowing alot more and it feels like something is stuck in it. I have never had it before and its really frightening me.

Why is it just when I start to get rid of all the other anxiety symptoms something else starts to bother me.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information