Thread: Day 3, is this normal?

Day 3, is this normal?

Hi

I am on my 3rd day of Citalopram (10mg) and felt fine up until last night. My heart feels like it is beating so fast, my breathing has got faster and its as if i have become hyperactive

I didnt sleep a wink last night, My stomach is churning and griping and my headaches (which i took 2 nurofen for and the pharmacist told me a def no no) I also feel like I constantly need to burp, like indigestion

When does this settle down??????????

I can battle through it if i know the end is in sight

Re: Day 3, is this normal?

What you are experiencing is definately the side effects. Eat small ammounts of good healthy food regularly ,it helps also to eat when youve taken your meds.Sometimes the side effects settle in a few days in others it takes longer.It will take 4-6 weeks for you to feel the full benefit of the dose and your gp will be able to tell you if your dose needs increasing. Dont worry abt the 2 nurofen ,it is not advisable cos there is a small risk of bleeding in the digestive tract,better stick to paracetamol in future.Also avoid alcohol.Try some milk for the indigestion if you havnt got any antacids.All the best sue

Hi

I can definitely vouch for what suzy sue has said -- I felt exactly the same side effects that you're describing when I began to take citralopram. And I can honestly say that these will calm down. It can feel really scary to be expierencing what feels like a total barrage of effects, but you're doing really, really well!

Thankyou for your replies, it is quite scary but at least knowing its normal is a relief. I thought I was going to be fine because the 1st day I felt nothing, I suppose its building up now.

To be honest it feels like the onset of a panic attack only this has lasted for the past 12 hours!

Think I will go to bed and try to sleep it off, roll on day 4!

x

Smile Re: Day 3, is this normal?

I know that feeling very well d&g, and I'm sure everyone who sees this topic can relate to that agitated feeling of lingering panic. Its not a great feeling, but knowing that its a side effect, and is a temporary part of taking the medication can be a boost. I have found putting my headphones on and listening to music, or getting people to distract me with a quick chat can help distract me enough away from these feelings

It really does get better!!

I am on day 5 and the constant panic feeling is gone, Day 3 was by far the worst, am hoping its only 'up' from here. I have changed to taking them at 5pm though as I found first thing in the morning didn't really suit...a panic attack at home is one thing but in the midde of sainsburys is another!lol

I am hoping this doesnt disrupt my sleep because the last 2 nights I have slept SO well...I guess I will find out tonight.

Thankyou!

Glad u are on the up! hope it continues.It can be a bit up and down to start ,but you are doing really well.Hope you sleep well & have a good day tommorow luv sue

Thread Information