Thread: Thyroid Cancer?????help

Thyroid Cancer?????help

Anyone know anything about it? I went to the dr the other day and she did a tsh test and called 10min ago and said my numbers are VERY low!!! She said she wants to do a thyroid ultra sound to see if anything is growing!!! That means cancer right? I'm freaking out here, my worst nightmare has come true, CANCER! My hubby says maybe its something else but i know better, he's just trying to make me feel better, i'm not gonna try and think it might not be cuz i want to be prepared when they tell me. What am i gonna do, i'm facing death which is my biggest fear, how do you face it? How am i gonna tell my kids? I can't tell my 4 yr old, she wouldn't understand. I NEED HELP DOING THIS

Re: Thyroid Cancer?????help

It doesnt mean the big 'c'!!

Thyroid cancer is very rare and even if you did have it (which am sure you dont) Its one of the easiest to cure.

I went through this recently, my numbers were low, was on brink of hyperthyroidism, so they did an ultrasound and I have 2 nodules on my thyroid which are basically pumping out too much. I had biopsies taken of them both and all clear.

I went back to my endocronologist for 6 month routine check last week and my levels have risen away from borderline to perfectly normal.

hence why i have ended up here, i was convinced I was hyperthyroid and would be treated and all my symptoms would go...instead I have accepted I have sraightforward anxiety!

Loads and loads of people have thyroid problems which is easily treatable, in fact many have thyroid nodules and dont even know it.

Be calm, i am sure you will be fine

x

I worked as a vol adviser for a thyroid support group so know what I am talking about. The chances of you having thyroid cancer are very low and your Dr is just following guidelines for people with hyperthyroidism - did she examine your neck at the consultation?? she may felt a nodule or you could have a goitre which is swelling of the thyroid which can be obvious when you turn your head from side to side or you may look like you have a pouch at the bottom of your neck????? Anyway the ultrasound is to see if there are any swellings and if so the ultrasound will be able to tell them if they look cancerous or not.

worst case scenario - thyroid cancer is the most curable cancer there is and it is exceedingly rare for it to spread anywhere else - I have never heard of anyone dying from it in thie country as it will be picked up in plenty of time.
    IF worst case scenario happens then they remove your thyroid gland and then you have a radioactive swallow with a few days in hospital while you are radioactive and thats that.

If you are just normal hyperactive thyroid then the first treatment is usually by tablet and that is highly successful.

As I said the chances of your hyperthyoridsm being cuased by cancer is very small so save your worrying for when you have been told to worry

Let us know how you get on and if you ahve any questions please ask - I don't want to overwhelm you with info

My Fiancee had a huge gland swollen in her neck that they though was thyroid related. Did a biopsy and it's nothing. It's still swollen and still normal. We were worried, but it worked out.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with thyroid cancer just before Christmas. She's had her thyroid removed and a radioactive treatment and she's absolutely fine now. Like the other poster said, it is one of the easiest to treat, so try not to panic (easier said than done, I know).

Thread Information