Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fear of eating in public

Re: Fear of eating in public

I seem to be struggling with this at the moment. New Years Eve I was round at a friends house and we all ate together around the dining room table. I really struggled with this, it was just me, him, his parents and a couple of their friends but even so I found I couldn't look at anybody while I was eating or say anything and I was only too glad when told I could go back into the other room if I wanted too. I always feel like this when eating with friends, I just get so uncomfortable and embarrassed. It feels really stupid because most of the time I know and am comfortable with the people I'm with but I just struggle so much when it comes to eating with them. You're not alone.

Is it ok for me to join in on this thread?

I can relate to alot of your stories. I used to have a massive eating disorder when I was around 12 to 15 years old when I stopped eating. I did it cause I hated when my friends, or anyone looked at me while I ate. I was a chubby child so it was mostly cause of that.

Almost 10 years later I've started yet again hating eating in public. I think it has to do with that a woman in my, lets say social circle have started jumping on me about my weight. I'm not the skinniest or the chubbiest person, i'm not even fat, but I have curves and in her eyes I seem to be too large. Since she started with all her comments I've been trying to avoid eating in public cause I feel observed by people, cause she always observes me when she's around.

Her words and her observation is haunting me still.

I understand that this is quite common - I always eat at my desk and spend a long time carefully selecting what to have for lunch. I avoid crisps because people might hear me crunching! I also think people will judge what I am eating - not healthy enough etc. I know it's mad really and I'm sure could be challenged with CBT techniques but can't force myself to do it.

I used to have this problem, then i realized it was me, not anybody else who was worried, no one is actually bothered, I noticed how insane it was to think like this...so I stopped. Seriously they are too wrapped up in their own minds to worry . I hope this has gave you some reassurance

Ex-sufferer of anxiety and panic disorder, I am willing to help anyone, so feel free and ask for help

I always find a quiet place to eat if I get something to snack on in town. I can't stand people staring at me while I eat away. It makes me feel super anxious.

.....and a ninja.

I've had the same problem for about 35 years, started when I began secondary school and has never gone away. I've missed out on lots of family meals over the years and feel sad I can't eat out with my fiancé. I don't know what started it but have always been a slow eater and hate being the last one to finish even though I don't eat much. I have tried to eat out a few times many years ago but felt really sick and had to go outside and wait in the car for the family to finish, embarrassing and annoying Wish I could get over this as I'd love to be able to have the occasional meal out with my partner, thankfully he's very understanding but I still feel bad. I find even having a drink out is difficult, fear I'm going to choke.

I know exactly how you feel. Ive not eaten in public for seven years due to my GAD, social anxiety and social phobia mainly because I was made fun of as I was overweight when I was young, it badly damaged my confidence. When I was at college I never once had anything to eat in public. Im receiving help (CBT) so I hope one day I can go and eat out with a friend or family. Good luck best wishes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information