This reasearch request is posted with permission from Nicola (administrator)
Information for research participants
The purpose of this study is to find out your experiences of using formal self-help materials (formal self-help materials include workbooks, manuals or books on depression or anxiety) to overcome or help you cope with anxiety and/or depression. It will be of particular interest to find out how effective you have found formal self-help materials to be and how you accessed them. It is also to find out what other types of self-help, which might include forums such as this, support groups, exercise etc, you have found most useful.

If you do decide to take part your responses will be retrieved from the website and used for analysis and some statements may be used within the final study report. By answering the questions it is assumed that you agree to take part and for your responses to be used in this way. The questions should only take 5-10 minutes to complete and can be copied and pasted into your response. If you would prefer to email your responses to me I have set up the following email address for this purpose: rbnorthumbria@googlemail.com.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and if you do decide to take part your assistance is greatly appreciated. I am also more than happy to post a summary of the research findings on this site for those who are interested in the outcome of the project.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Blackwood
Northumbria University

Self-help questionnaire

Please cut and paste these questions into your response.

1. What is your experience of using formal self-help materials, particularly self-help books or packs, as a way of addressing your anxiety and/or depression? Please include whether or not it was useful to you?
2. How did you find out about these materials? For example, was it suggested to you by a healthcare provider or did you find these materials by yourself?
3. How did you access formal self-help materials? For example, did you have to buy them? Where they supplied by your healthcare provider?
4. Other than formal self-help materials what other strategies do you use to help you cope with your anxiety? For example, this might include using forums such as this, exercise or any other useful strategies you have found.
5. It may also be useful to know if you have followed other treatment methods, for example medication or talking therapies. If you are happy to please give details.
6. Finally, if there is anything you think I have missed or you would like to share on this topic please give some details.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer these questions.