Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety Management

Anxiety Management

Hi all - I have just arrived back from my first 'anxiety management' class. There are six classess in all, covering a range of topics from relaxation techniques to tackling anxiety related problems.

Just wondered if anyone has attanded such a class, and how it was for them?

Jo (2)
    xxx

Hi Jo
    Ive just started on the same sort of thing. My 1st session was a one 2 one so I could tell her the problems. 2nd session was one 2 one teaching breathing techniques. She is coming to my house on thursday to do relaxation exercises. in the coming weeks Im going to group sessions and eventually she is going to dump me in the middle of the local town and let me find my way home!!!!! sounds great!!!!!
    I will try and keep you posted on how it is.

Sarah
    xx

Thanks for the reply Sarah - keep me posted and I will do the same.

Jo xx

Hope you get home safely

Sarah/Jo

When I filmed a programme for the BBC called "Private Investigations" (it was about my fear of public transport), they dumped me at a tube station and I had to get back to the therapists house - scariest thing I did for years - but I made it.

Good luck Sarah - you can do it!

Nic

Hi all - I had my second session yesterday at the anxiety management programme! Today we talked about avoidance, and how those who suffer from panic and anxiety may avoid certain situations.

For instance, I once had a panic attack in my car and thus avoided travelling for a long time afterwards. In fact, it is only recently, after consulting various books which advised taking very small steps, that I was able to start driving again. For example, I started by siting in my car. The next day, I turned my engine on, etc.

To conclude, our leader emphasised that anxiety related problems do not, as the majority of us would hope, decrease over night. It may take a long time to gain control again. But people can and do overcome anxiety related problems, it just takes practice.

Jo xxx

PS. I really don't mean to sound like a 'know it all', I am just reporting back from my class. I am still struggling with my panic and anxiety. Just hope we can all recover!

Hi folks
    I've just come back from my 1st group session and as promised, here's my update!
    When I got there I was panicking so much I thought I was going to die. I wanted to run but stuck it out as I realised it would only make it harder next time if I did.
    Everyone looked so 'normal' I wondered if I was in the right place, but as soon as they all described their symptoms etc I realised that I too must have looked normal to them! ( they were all fidgeting and clutching their trusty bottles of water)-like me!
    We paired off and described what was wrong with us and I realised we were all to some degree all the same. I started to relax and actually found myself 'enjoying' being around people who knew how I felt for a change.
    The group leader taught us a bit about why we panic and before I knew it, it was time to go home!

If anyone else gets the chance to go for group therapy I would really urge you to go. I felt so good when I left that I had actually managed to leave the house and come back in one piece!!!!!
    (I am partially agoraphobic and dont leave the house much!)

Sarah xx

I felt really nervous too Sarah! In fact, I nearly didn't leave the car - I'm so glad I didn't. That was probably a step in itself - not running away!

Keep me posted Sarah

Jox

Jo/Sarah - it is so good that you are getting help and not only benefiting but enjoying it too!

I wish you both well with the recovery.

Nic

Hi folks
    Had my 2nd session yesterday. we did relaxation techniques...breathing and negative thoughts etc. At the end the leader asked us all to say what made us panic, everyone was cool and said what made them panic. I went last and opened my mouth and managed to get out that i panic a lot and its been hapenning for a year and promptly burst out crying. I felt like such a muppet but everyone was really cool about it and said they knew just how i felt. It was really good to be with poeple who didnt look at me like i just got a plane from mars for a change!!!!

Sarah xx

Hi all - I had my third session on Tuesday 1st July. We talked about challenging negative thoughts. According to our leader we must ask ourselves questions:

(1) Am I predicting the future negatively?

(2) What is the evidence for and against the idea?

(3) What would my friends think in this situation?

(4) Am I making things worse than they really are?

(5) Does it matter if things don't turn exactly right?

(6) Does this thought help me succeed?

(7) Am I trying to read other peoples minds?

Long isn't it. She suggested to write down our negative thoughts whilst trying to dispute them. For instance, if you are anxious about going out socially, which sometimes I am, you may dispute your negative thoughts and come up with the following cue card:

"I'M IN CONTROL. NOT MY ADRENALINE.
    IF PEOPLE LOOK AT ME, SO WHAT, THEYRE PROBABLY ADMIRING MY CLOTHES.
    JUST RELAX, SMILE AND LISTEN. I CAN DO THIS!
    IGNORE THESE ANXIOUS FEELINGS, THEY'LL PASS, THEY HAVE BEFORE
    AND THEY WILL AGAIN".

It must take a lot of practice to challenge negative thoughts, especially if one has had these thoughts the majority of their lives. I think with practice, we can challege our worries.

Take care Joxxx

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information