Thread: Sertraline

Sertraline

my doc has just stopped my Cipralex which was not doing the trick...I am to go straight on to Sertraline tomorrow. Has anyone had this? Had pretty awful first few weeks on Cipralex with side effects, but doc said as I was on SSRI I should not have side effects. Well when you are so anxious all day you do wonder????
    Had horrible experience with Zispin - so am a bit wary, perhaps I should just shut up & take the meds!
    Has also recommended CBT which will cost a fortune, as there is 6/8 months waiting list on NHS. Will do everything I'm told as I really want my life back.

Re: Sertraline

I've just switched from Cipralex to Sertraline. I'm a week into it. The first few days weren't great. i did have increased anxiety and felt quite sick. After a week the sickness has mostly past. I don't really feel any better anxiety wise but they do take a while to work - will let you know!x

Thanks for that, have had wobbly anxious legs on first day! Have found a cd called Complete Relaxation which really helps - it sent me into a deep relaxation it is very hypnotic, believe me I have never had success with anything like that before, it is by Glenn Harrold & you can get it on Amazon £7.99. Hope you feel better soon, will keep you posted !
    Regards

Hello

I had to switch from sertraline to citalopram about 7 years ago as when I started to take sertraline I started to feel suicidal, which is something I had never felt before.

Different meds work for different people. I always say you need to keep on trying until you find what feels right to you. Just dont give up though, because there are a lot of medications out there that can really make a difference for anxiety disorder.

Starting a new SSRI is a pain though, the side effects are annoying, but try to ride it out, maybe ask your doctor for some benzos (diazepam or something like that) to take with them for the first few weeks until the side effects (which tend to exacerbate anxiety) subside...

I hope this helps

Hi, thanks for that, I am on day four of Sertraline, and really the only side effect is my anxiety is worse. Did manage to go out with a friend for a meal - it was difficult, but I made it!
    Am wary because on Zispin it made me totally comatose, dizzy and pins & needles all over!
    Am also feeling tearful, which is weird because with my depression I just can't cry.....
    I will stick it out am just hoping this is the right med for me!

Peppercat

Sometimes a gp/psychiatrist will cross taper you onto a new med which means that you are taking both at the same time. However, your gp obviously doesn't think there is any probs switching you from one to the other which a lot of gp's do.

You will feel anxious and get some side effects for the first two weeks like with any anti depressant. Don't be frightened by the side effects you have to tellyourself that it's the chemicals and not your own anxiety going wild.

Glenn Harrold's cd's are good. Take care xx

Hey there. I am on Sertraline too 50mg and it did take a few weeks to kick in but it does me good. I am much more relaxed. Hope all goes well. Oh and also, I got a sleeping tab Zimovane wich I take if I had a really bad day.

Well here I am, 8 days on 50mg & 8 days on 75mg, and I am a complete mess. I have terrible anxiety & agitation all day, the only thing that helps is taking lorazepam (which I hate as it makes me feel dozy & doped) plus the addiction factor. (Taking 1mg per day in x 2 0.5mg doses. )
    My depression got worse, but now it has gone back to how it was when I started the Sertraline.
    So in 16 days I feel worse! I am looking for some encouragement as I feel so low & feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Guys

Just thought i'd bound over to spread some love and happiness!

I've been on many different meds for depression (and slightly anxiety) over the last 8 years; Prozac then Amytriptaline then cipramil, recently lofepramine for 6 weeks, then - as of 3 days ago sertraline.

On lofepramine i got signed off work for 2 weeks as was suicidal and the lowest i've prob been in 8 years.

Today, i feel 'normal'

I'm currently on 50mg setraline, 100mg lofepramine and diazepam when i need it and feel great.

So just wanted to show there is light at the end of the tunnel - sometimes it just takes a few tries of various meds to find 'The One'

Hope everyone is feeling ok today, if not....

Thread Information