Thread: Problem

Problem

Hi
    I've had anxiety for about 6 years, I am 21 now, but suffered from a prolonged Panic Disorder attack last year, and I am still recovering.

However, my main support network, my Dad lately has had problems at work and this week has admitted to feeling bad again - about 2/3 years ago he had mild depression and took medication and therapy for it.

I, of course, support him and discuss this with him. However, its made me feel jittery and anxious, because I worry about how it effects him, and how its effecting me.

Its making me feel so selfish.

:(

Re: Problem

Can no-one help?

Re: Problem

Hi,

I can't give you any advice I'm afraid but I did want to say at the moment I am in a similar situation. I say similar but only in that my brother is in hospital with severe depression and I feel selfish for not supporting him because of my own problems. But also its very different too because we are not in the same house and he's not my support network. But the feeling of selfishness is the same.

It is not selfish though to worry about the effect on you. You have enought to shoulder without shouldering your dad's too. Its not possible to carry both. You may try but it is not selfish to worry about having to carry both weights. Really it sounds like your dad needs first and foremost to speak to his GP about his own situation. Some of us are built by our background to try to stay strong and deal with it on their own but if he is seeing the signs now it is better that he gets help early. So it may be worth trying to convince him to speak to his GP in the hope that the professional can help him out now rather than wait to see if it gets worse.

I hope the situation improves for both of you as that cannot be great at the moment.

All the best

Nechtan

Thread Information