Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Anxiety Disorder

General Anxiety Disorder

... how on earth do you overcome it???

I have had councelling, med's, hypno and I'm sick of still feeling this way.

The anxious thoughts just whirl around my head all the time. I can't concentrate on anything properly, can't hold a proper conversation, can't even watch a film because the anxious thoughts are always there.

I know that most nights I must even be anxious in my sleep. I wake up several times during the night then wake unrefreshed in the morning. My neck, back and shoulders are always aching, I think I must toss and turn a lot in my sleep.

I wake up and immediately start worrying. I try to distract myself, but the thoughts just wont let up at all.

How can you stop these constant worries, all of which are small niggles that get completely blown up out of all proportion. I have to think through everything that may happen regarding an issue, coming to endless conclusions and solutions. But then I have to start all over again reaching different conclusions.

I am so worn out and worn down by all this and at a loss to know what else I can do to stop the thoughts once and for all.

Kate x

hello Kate,

How I wish I had the answer to your question!! Negative thoughts always seem to there for me to ruining all the best times in my life!! Have you ever tried writing them all down when you wake up in the morning? Someone told me to do this once and I still haven't done it but might be worth a try. Basically, you set a half hour aside each day, always at the same time. During that half hour, you allow your mind to think of all the negative thoughts it wants to and you write them all down. Supposedly, this will allow you to get them all out of your system and get on with your day..

Sorry not to be of more use!! Take care.

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Hi Kate

It's the million dollar question isn't it!!!
    I haven't overcome anxiety but I can honestly say that mentally I am 98% getting there, I still get lots of physical symptoms which occassionally make me panic but on the whole I try not to let them worry me by thinking positively which I think is the key to getting better.
    Although it's hard I think distraction and relaxation have been 2 of the key things which have helped me along with the wonderful people on this site.
    Don't know whether this helps or not, just want you to know that thereis light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care

Elaine x

hi kate,i know how you feel have gone from been housebound to a near normal life in 8 months i am still scared of long distance travel but i am workin on it.
    basically i started doing more exercise(walking) and working from there and learnt how to relax more,also try breathing exercises.good luck
    tony x

metal,rock, and hardcore music is my life!

Thanks, Sarah, Lainey and Tony for replying.

I have tried all of your suggestions at one time or another and I'm still in the same position unfortunately.

I have woken up today to pouring rain and black skies once again and I just feel so low and on edge.

I just am unable to switch the thoughts off and give myself some peace. If I could relax then I'm sure the distraction would be easier. There just seems no way out at the moment and it is just wearing me down.

Kate x

Hi Kate, Im sorry you are feeling low, I find the thoughts the hardest thing about this too, the physical symptoms I can cope with but the thoughts take over and I get cross and stroppy.
    Since Ive changed meds they are definitly less.
    I also decided to keep a very basic diary, just writing good day bad day and also listing my thoughts as they came along. I would then take time to look through and try to replace them with positive ones if they were to reappear.
    I highlighted the date on the really bad days, since January I have had so many better days,
    I know this isnt easy and sometimes everythng goes out the window because you feel they are never going but keep going Kate, you know we are all here for you.#
    the weather is bad today not surprised you wake up gloomy.
    Take care, Love Alexis,xx
    PS I also buy an I LOVE ME PRESENT ever so often, nothing much or expensive last time was a portion of prawns (LOLOLO) but it makes me feel better.So take time to spoil yourself too Kate,xx

Thanks Alexis,

I used to have to keep a daily diary when I was having CBT, putting the worst feelings and best ones each day and rating them accordingly.

I do actually buy myself a bunch of flowers every week cos no one else ever does!

Hope you enjoyed your prawns!!

Love Kate x

Well, it would appear from the few replies that I got that there is no cure to the constant anxiety, which just confirms what I already thought.

Was a bit of a pointless post really but sometimes I just have to write things down on here as there is no one else for me to talk to about it all. At least when I was seeing the psychologist I could just offload on her and get it all off my chest. Shame the mental health team also thought I was a no hoper and booted me [:O]

Anyway, thanks to all who replied!

Love Kate x

aaaawwwww poor Kate!! You aren't a no-hoper Kate and if you are, then so are we!! It's pouring with rain here too - makes you feel even more miserable, doesn't it? [Ugh]

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

:(:(:(

Kate x

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information