You'll have noticed Kazzie, chat room moderator here at NMP, has been AWOL for a while.

Last time I spoke with Kazzie she was at home recovering from pneumonia having not long been discharged from Hospital. She was very weak, understandably, but threatening to go back to work.

Tonight I sent a text message asking how she was and received a call from her better-half Roger, explaining he was with Kazzie in Hospital.

She has liver failure and has been told 'no more alcohol for life'. Moreover, had she not gone into hospital when she did, her life expectancy was considered to be just a couple of weeks. That's what you call a very close shave!

The visiting hours are strict so she feels quite isolated. She has a little radio apparently, but I can't see that keeping her amused for long. We'll have to have a NMP meet-up in her ward.

Roger says she is somewhat jaundice and will need to regain strength in her legs before she's allowed home, but that she's 'ok' otherwise. I managed to hear her prompting in the background, as she usually does. It takes a lot to keep her quiet!

She wanted me to post a message here to let everyone know what's going on and the reason for her absence. I'm sure you'll join me in wishing the old dear a speedy recovery.

I'll work out a way of getting your messages to her and keep you informed of her progress.