Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else gets pleasure from trying to help others

Who else gets pleasure from trying to help others

I know this sounds like a stupid question actually. I just wondered how many people really do get a good feeling when they read posts on here from people suffering who may be new to anxiety or depression.

I read the posts, and I feel so sorry for people who haven't suffered long and don't really know what's happening to them. I think people like me (and many many others on here) who have suffered for many years just want to give others the benefit of our own knowledge whether it be books we've read, about medication, therapies etc etc.

People so need support with this illness and a lot of the time they cannot share their feelings and thoughts with families or those close to them. To come on here and have people who do understand how they are feeling is such a marvellous resource.

Take care all. xx

Re: Who else gets pleasure from trying to help others

I'll second that Yvonne I just wish I found this site year s ago

x

I think it's as natural as breathing to try and help someone else and I feel pleasure in helping others.

I know this site has been a godsend to me and I am proud to be part of it.

Lynnann
    Last edited by Lynnann; 08-03-09 at 22:21. Reason: thought of something else lol

I recall finding this site when I was losing the plot. I really thought I was the only person to be going through such horrors and I felt so lonely and convinced I had to locked away from society. I cried after looking at this site cos' I could see others who would know what I was going through.

Having been at rock bottom and crawled out of that dark pit (though I am still not fully back to the person I was but this will do) if I coins help 1 person then I would be happy to.

I like to be of help to people.Anxiety is probably the hardest thing to help with though due to the negative attitude of sufferers. I have had the "what do you know "attitude from a couple of people .Which is not very endearing but not unexpected.

I get Alot of pleasure from helping others. Just to help someone smile, to help them feel good about themselves or to help them go on to live a happier life gives me Huge satisfaction. I just Love making people smile!

There is Nothing I ask for or expect in return other than to know I've been of help. That's reward enough for me!

That's why I love this site so much because it's made up such a lovely group of people who just want to help each other with no vested interest. I just couldn't belong to a site where there are those who stand to gain more than just pure satisfaction of helping others get better. I sincerely hope this site will always be the site it is.

Yvonne is one of the lovely people on this site who is always thinking of others, who always replies to those in desperate need and she always offers her support freely because she simply cares! That's what makes this site what it is. A pure pleasure to belong. I hope it never changes because I wouldn't want to have to leave such lovely people!

I only came across this site back in December. I was having a really bad meltdown, one that I had not experienced for a while. It was through this place that I learned about the side effects of my drug and and it was like a light was finally switched on! I understood that it wasn't just my depression that was eating me up and I could do something about it.

Sadly it meant that I had to go back to full dose, but now I understand better, when I decide to try and come off again, I will know what to expect and will also have the support of you wonderful guys n girls

As for helping others, I had very little support over the years and have had to deal with things myself, and learn from my own experience, trial and error etc.. Sometimes it was lonely and I felt that i had no more strength to fight but I never gave up, because , I only had myself!..

I so don't want others to have to stuggle themselves for so long, and if I can help someone is anyway, shape, or form, even if its just giving someone a hug ... ( which I would of been glad of on many occassions ) then i will gladly do my best to ease someones mind/suffering.

To bring a smile to someones face, to give someone a little more strength to carry on.. is the best feeling in the world.

yes i think its the need of long term sufferers to try and help someone not go down the same path we have - there isnt always the right help and it is known in the profession that if you dont get the right help at the start - the prognosis isnt good(this knowledge doesnt stop ppl not getting help though! ) - i think this has happend to loads of us on here?

but i also think that even if our advice/help/support cant actually change anything - i think we all have to do it ourselves eventually - for ourselves -then atleast we arent alone - its our little group/place to go where we feel understood

I thank people like you wholeheartedly who helped me when I was in a 'bad state' at the beginning of this year. I had this site and forums to post on everyday and it was the only thing in my life 10 weeks ago that kept me going. It was a lifeline to be able to 'talk' to others who understood what I was feeling, so I did not feel so isolated. The tips and advice were all bonuses really. Just the fact that so many people with similar problems can come together and support each other is fantastic. I hope my postings give something back to others that may be worried by their illnesses too. When you feel so alone and scared, this site is a nice place to be. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Personally I find it easier to help other people. I'm sure as people with anxiety problems most of us are well read on the how the problems manifest and what people do to eleviate them. It is therefore sometimes easier to give advice and it is a good feeling if you can help someone.

If only it was as easy to help outselves. That is the irony of anxiety.

All the best

Nechtan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information