Thread: OCD about English ?

OCD about English ?

Hi everyone ,

I've had a breathing obsession for about 4 years now. I still get it but no where near as much as I used to, but since it started I've always had anxiety in some form.

Since last year I have had a really bad obsession for the English Language. It has climaxed recently and I'm getting very panicky about it. I do English Lit, English Lang and History at A Level, so as you can imagine I am constantly analysing the language.

What is happening is that I am always thinking about the language when I listen to someone, instead of it naturally being subconscious. Today in History, I listenened to the teacher and didn't get something which was pretty insignificant and I went in to a real panic. Not a panic attack as such, but much more a "Oh my god, why don't I get that?" and then I start REALLY stressing about it, missing what the teacher says which can be quite significant and I then miss that, leading to a viscious circle.

It's not nice and I was wondering if anyone else had this? Before I had this OCD I must of just ignored stuff I didn't get straight away and not let it bother me. But today - in History - I didn't get about 10 things that were said (leading me to panic A LOT) and I came out of the class an absolute state and feeling like I had just gone 10 rounds with Hatton!

Has anyone got any advice for me at all? Like just to stop worrying about it and just ignore it or what?

It's not just in lessons It's outside as well, talking to mates etc. They get annoyed by me constantly asking them to repeat or even explain stupid things. It also happens a lot when I read papers I just brood over sentences and really deeply think about them.

It's a strange one, but any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks A lot,

Jonathan

Re: OCD about English ?

If it helps, I sometimes focus on peoples accents instead of what they're saying. Not a good thing to do especially as I teach!! As they're speaking I am actually immitating in my head the sounds of their words .......

However, if it's any reassurance if someone said 'hey mate, you've dropped a tenner' I'm sure I'd hear them first time.

Perhaps it's something we do when we're a bit bored?

Anyhow don't worry about it ..... probably just a phrase. A levels can be very stressful.

Ksmith

Thread Information