Thread: EMDR

Talking EMDR

Hey all,

I know I have not posted on here much but felt I not have something to share. My panic attacks reached a peak last April. I had suffered for many years but I had a mini breakdown last year due to all the problems with anxiety. I had to leave my job and could barely leave the house. Fortunately I had someone who was willing to take me on with the problems I was experiencing and due to our whacking mortgage (new homeowners too) I could not stay housebound. In October 08 I started EMDR and I have to tell you the amazing results this has had on my life. Don't get me wrong things are not completely rosey but I have been able to recently put an application into college and start thinking about my future again. I know some people do not benefit from this or are a bit sceptical but it has truely transformed my life. I am starting to live again.

I have also found I have had someone to explain things to me in a language I can understand. I had many questions that could not be answered until I started with my EMDR therapist. I do believe that a little knowledge about what is happening to me and why it is happening has helped me on my way.

I first went to the doctor about it and I wasn't in 5 minutes when he had put a prescription for anti depressants in my hand and labelled me as mentally ill. I saw another 3 doctors and had to fight with them not to put that statement in my notes. I am hoping to become a Primary School Teacher, could you imagine the phrase "mentally unstable" ever rearing it's head. I now have no faith in GPs but i honestly would not have come so far without the EMDR therapist.

I know I have prattled on but just wanted to share that with you all and to let you know there is hope for us all out there. It's just a matter of finding what works for you.

Take care
    Susan

PS f anyone has any questions about my EMDR sessions I would be happy to share. Just PM me.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming

WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Re: EMDR

Hey Susan,
    I am totally with you on the whole GP thing. I dont think they have a clue when it comes to panic attacks and anxiety.
    I know they are medically trained but I think doctors arent very life saving. I could put my trust a lot more in a paramedic than a doctor.

I think doctors just have some sort of search engine on their PC and type in what symptoms you tell them you have and it produces a list of possible medications. I know this aint the case but its the view I have built over the years.

I have been to see my doctor 4 times now. Each time all he has done is offer me anti-depressants, check my pulse, heart rate and chest. Its as if he just wants to give me medication and be done with me.

Its great to see your EMDR sessions going great!
    Its the first time Ive ever heard of them though would you care to explain what they entail? They sound like they could benefit me a great deal.

Hey sMINT and anyone else interested,

I have to say the best way is to read about it on wikipedia. It's quite a long winded explanation but it really does take a long winded explanation. haha.

Also wanted to say the explanation for EMDR can be found here.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_Mov...d_Reprocessing

This goes quite deap into it. Basically what happens is the therapist uses hand movements which you follow with your eyes while focusing on a traumatic event. My most recent one was where I took a panic attack while at mu Husbands swearing in ceremony (He's joined the Police). I have to picture the worst moment, give the therapist a negative comment about myself and a possitive comment about myself and score them on how they fit. I then sit there following his hand movements and it's amazing the things that come up during the processing. It is all used to process information which has become hardwired into your brain which is the main cause of panic attacks.

Not sure if this explains anything but well ya know.... Lol

Susan
    xx
    Last edited by susan c; 09-03-09 at 19:21. Reason: Not enough info on 1st response
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming

WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Thanks I will read into it

Oh and to add to my previous comment for everyone, That is only my view on doctors. Its not to put anyone off going becuase going to see your GP is the first stage of recovery and they are there to provide confidential advice

i was wondering if you could maybe talk more about the explanation your therapist has told you about panic symptoms. i read your post on the dizziness, that it is actually panic coming down and that was very helpful

Hi Bluewoman,

I will try my very best for you but I have been asking things as I have been going along so it might be scetchy.

When we experience things in life they are processed and passed through our brain from one part to the next and the next until it has been fully processed. In my case I have had a few traumatic experiences in life for example I am a survivor of domestic abuse. One particular event stuck with me as painfully as it had been back them. The reason this sometimes happens is because traumatic times can get stuck in the pathways and become "hotwired" into the brain. This can cause the feeling to get stronger and stronger until it can develop. In my case it developed into panic attacks. This was one event in many which I had not processed. I aslo had a problem recently at my Husband's swearing in ceremony (he has joined the Police Force). I had a panic attack and during it I remembered thinking "I have nothing to fear here so why am I freaking out?". I asked my therapist about it and he explained to me it is not a mind thing but a body thing. How can we control a natural body response with a thought? When we have a panic attack, the thinking brain or language centre shuts down and the reptilian brain takes over. This is actually the smallest part of the brain but the bit which requires most power, which is why I feel totally wiped out after a panic attack. Anyway it was explained to me like this.... thousands of years ago if man came across a sabretooth tiger the reptilian brain would take over. You would not need to think if this happened, you would just need to know "FIGHT, FLIGHT OR FREEZE". Oh I'm sure these words will mean something to you all. They certainly do to me. During a panic attack it is the same response taking control but this time it is the body responses betraying you as there is no threat. As I said it is a body response and can only be controlled through body reconditioning then you can move onto the thought part. I was told about the dizziness thing as I always thought "Oh god, i'm going dizzy, I'm going to pass out" and the panic would set in again. As you read that's not the case and through knowing this it has really helped me think oh well thats it almost over. I have been taught to breath properly. Cant believe I'm nearly 32 and learning to breath but it has made a huge difference. I have to breath in for 3, hold for 3, release for 3 and hold for 3. Once I have taken a deep breath i feel much better and start to relax. Have also learned to be more open and honest about the panic attacks with people. I have found the more I try to hide things, the more I need to get out of a situation. If I tell someone yes I suffer panic attacks and I might have to leave the room it kinda takes the pressure away and I find I dont have to leave the room.

Going to stop prattling on now but will just say back to the domestic abuse issue, thanks to the therapy, I do not feel the same as I did before. Instead of thinking oh god that happened to me, I think yep that happened but it has made me stronger. I do not sit feeling scared about it anymore. I have processed it and moved on.
    I hope this helps a little but please ask anything else if you want to.
    Susan
    xx

WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Thread Information