Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Preventing Cervical Cancer & What you should know

Re: Preventing Cervical Cancer & What you should know

I decided to give an update. I went in for my 6 month check up and they found a tiny small area, again. The doctor did a biopsy & it turned out to still be CIN1. They want to see me again in a year..rather than 6 months. So, needless to say I was relieved.

You can get a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer, it is very effective if a little expensive. All children between 13-18 are now getting this vaccine in school for free.

https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy....x-and-gardasil

how come young women are getting cervical cancer when we are told its a slowly growing cancer... its that info that what keeps us going, cuz my doctor told me it take 10-15 years to turn into cervical cancer!! aand know that makes me feel loads better but young girls are just dying... how come? im scared that a smear every three years isnt enough!!! x

^I'm not sure what country you are in..but here in the U.S..women get their pap smears done once a year. As long as you get monitored the chances of it developing into cervical cancer are very very slim!

im in the uk and we have them ever 3 years, im goin private so i can have one every year... £100 tho x

Definitely go for a smear test every 1-2 years, not 3 years like the NHS suggests in UK. I had test come back normal 18 months ago and when I was back in Australia last month my gynaecologist said I should have another one then. Glad I did as it's come back CIN2&3 upon further investigation. Had to have Lletz treatment and now awaiting the results of that. Majority of people will of course be fine with the 3 year smear but the prevention rate is apparently 75% with that frequency and over 90% when you go every year or so. Worth paying for if they wont do it for free.

I'm terrified right now... I have just recieved a CIN 1 result after a borderline result 6 months previous to that! I have actually been in this situation before but this time I have been having very heavy periods and painful period pains during my periods so this time I am fearing the worst more than ever...

I keep thinking the cancer could grow so quick and take over lymph nodes.. I just cant stop thinking

It is so important to have regular smears and I would just book one with the nurse regardless of what they say. I started having smears at 17!

I'm really scared of cervical cancer. I have to wait another 6 months for a smear as I'm not 25 yet, and I honestly want the last 6 months of the wait to hurry up. Just to note about abnormalities though

1) cells can return to normal on their own, but you should remain closely monitored of course

2) both my aunt and her friend had abnormal cells that didn't return to normal in their 30's. they had laser treatment and they're both in their 60's now having had no futher problems.

this is what i try to hold on to so i don't panic quite so much. my mind has a habit of thinking 'what if' all the time, and it's always negative and jumping to the worst case scenario. i guess that's just what you get when you have anxiety. stupid anxiety

how come young women are getting cervical cancer when we are told its a slowly growing cancer
    A lot of girls I know start having sex at 14/15, i think it is slow growing but the younger they engage in sex the more at risk they are of not having it picked up on in time. I really think the age limit for a smear should be lowered.

I just plucked up the courage to book my first smear as I ignored the letters for a long time....was meant to be Thursday...I have mentally prepared myself,,,and guess What?

IVE JUST COME ON LOL.....

Cannot believe it....gonna have to cancel now and re-book....nightmare.....

I am all for lowering the age of smear tests.

Since my first smear at 25 in Feb 2011, I have had nothing but bad news and I feel had I been able to have a smear earlier, it may not have got to the stage it did where I needed treatment to remove some of my cervix.

The issues i have had regarding this has sparked my anxiety issues and will continue to do so with my fear of cervical cancer at the forefront of my mind constantly. I was given the all clear from my last examination just last week yet i know the all clear is only for 6 months until they have to look again. So although i feel reassured that I am being closely monitored, the point is...the age for smears should be lowered. There's no doubt about it.

xx

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information