Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Preventing Cervical Cancer & What you should know

Re: Preventing Cervical Cancer & What you should know

Hello,

That is really a very nice comment.I really like your thought for sharing those attechments.We all should aware of cancer and related information.Please be in touch for future sharing.Thank you for sharing the comment...

Wow that sux, I live in NZ and women here are encouraged to get one from the age of 20, however I had my first at 18. I think it sux that you ladies have to wait until 25. MAybe move to NZ hehehe.

Can anybody reassure me about smear tests? I'm due to have my first one (offered to me, I didn't have to beg for it at 22) and I'm pretty anxious about it. I'm worried it's going to hurt like hell. I've been googling the process (bad idea, I know) and those speculums they use look like instruments of torture. I know the magazines say "oh, it's only a little uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt". Is that true? I know I'm going to spend the next two weeks worrying about this.

SG Do Not Google!!! Google is full of horror stories. Which will be the case more than good stories as those that have had alright experiences dont shout about it like those who have been unfortunate enough to have a bad experisnce.

I had my first smear 6 months at...im 23!! I decided to go and have one even though i was totally scared. Talk to your nurse when you go in and explain your nervous i am lucky enough to have a LOVELY understanding nurse. I was so scared i had read stories about women getting hurt, or the clamp catching them.

Mine did not hurt, it was enough to make me gasp slightly as it is a little strange feeling but it is nowhere near as scary as you might think after googleing!! I have to go back for my 2nd next week as i have "abnormal cells" but i have also been told this is common in women under 25 as our cervix is still changing!

I hope all goes well for you but really dont worry. I know exactly how you feel i was the same and even with people reassuring me i didnt believe them!! Plus its over and done within 15 seconds

Hi, this thread is pretty good for info on this.

My girlfriend is 20 and got a "Abnormal Cells" letter in through the post a few weeks ago and she is not concerned at all but I am going haywire about it.

What causes abnormal cells ?

Stupidly Wiki'd "Cervical Cancer" and throws up all sorts of terrible illnesses related to this type of cancer.

Anyone able to help out on this one ?

Just want to say my friend is 24, she almost died of full-blown cervical cancer 2 years ago. She only got tested because she was going to Australia for a year and her mum wanted her to have a full health check on everything. She went private to ensure she could get the smear test at 22. If she hadn't, she would be dead by now, no doubt about it. They only just saved her in time. She hadn't even had many partners!

If you are worried go and ask your NHS doctor. They might say yes (mine was fine about it and did it there and then). If they refuse either say you have been having pain during sex or something, or go private. It will give you peace of mind.

I'm not going to lie and say a smear test is fun stuff but it really isn't a big deal. It wasn't painful, just a bit... awkward. I wouldn't bat an eyelid about going again.

Hi everyone i'm just letting you know i have just been diagnosed with cervical cancer and its wthe worst think in the world when the doctor tells you, but i am letting you know that i didn't have any of the bleeding between periods or any of the symptons they say so please go for a smear that was the only way i found out now i have to go for a radical hysterectomy. All this has happened within 6 weeks so they are acting fast, i just want everyong to know how important it is to have smear tests. Love to you all xxxx

Hi everyone.
    The nurse in the gp surgery may want to let you have a smear before you are 25 and may agree to do it, but just to let you know that if it is done and sent to the lab then the lab won't test it.
    There are so many of us that wish to lower the age, like other countries, but will this ever happen????

Well thats wierd. Ive been having a smear test every 3 years since I hit 21. I didnt have to ask for it either.
    Maybe it depends where in the country you are?

I just wanted to say please if you are able to get a smear test go for it. My good friend had worrying signs and was declined a smear test as under 25. Had one done last april aged 25 and found out 2 days after her wedding she had cervical cancer. She went through chemo and radiotherapy and in Jan this year began getting numbness and pain in her face and head and was sadly told she had a brain tumour.

She had a follow up in March this year and was told it was terminal and given 12 months to live. She sadly passsed away 2 weeks later aged just 26. She leaves behind a 4 yr old boy and didnt live to see her first wedding anniversary.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information