Thread: How can you tell whether its anxiety symptoms or genuine medical problem?

How can you tell whether its anxiety symptoms or genuine medical problem?

Hi all,

I first experienced a panic attack and anxiety this time last year. I had a routine blood test as I was feeling under the weather which I now know was stress. I fainted having this test and then when I came around I fainted again. This was hurrendous and I guess that the first time was a result of blood being taken on an empty stomach and the second time I fainted on what I am guessing was a panic attack? At the time I had not a clue what was happening to me and this went on for months and it was only until about August 08 that a friend said I could be suffering from depression and stress etc, I googled it and stumbled across articles on anxiety and panic attacks and I had every symptom, I was so releived up because until that point I had no clue, even the bloody doctor after relating every typical symptom of anxiety and panic attacks didn't pick it up and said it was flu and prescribed paracetamol, ahhhhhhh!!!!

Sorry to waffle, I started to experience lower abdominal pain in around April last year and I convinced myself it was the coil and had it removed in June, just for the symptoms to continue. I thought it was IBS so the Doctor prescibed stuff for that, it wasn't even though my severe panic and anxiety was giving me the symtoms of IBS. I had a few weeks ago a scan on my stomach and sides as these symtoms still carried on however this time when I was referred for a scan was the worst. I got up one morning felt awful and thought I was going to faint and ran to sit outside until the sensation passed. I put it down to ovulation but Doc referred me for the scan which showed nothing.

My question is how do you know when its anxiety causing these symptoms and when its a genuine medical problem? I have a real phobia now of going to the Doctors and feel let down after every appointment and just feel they fob me off.

Right now I have this stomach, lower abdominal ache, I also have done something to my neck as its aching, plus I have lower back pain around my hips in the dip of my back. I try to tell myself that if it were something serious then surely I would have more serious symptoms, such as blood in my stool or abnormal bleeding or discharge etc etc, sorry for that I know too much info.

All this with Jade Goody at the moment has made me paranoid aswell, when I had that first fainting episode, a few days later my husband was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, a few weeks later a lady across the road from us died of cervical cancer aged 30 leaving a 4 yr old and a 7 year old, plus a close friend's husband had a stroke age 37. All this happened in the space of about 3 months, so it made me feel like it was my turn next. I rang the Docs for an appointment for a smear test as I am due this year and was told to ring back at the end of the month as they have no appointments as they have no plates left, god knows what she meant?? All this triggered my health anxiety.

So when can you put an ache or pain down to anxiety and when should you make a Doctors appointment?

Sorry for the waffle, a bit desperate and fed up with feeling like s**t.

Re: How can you tell whether its anxiety symptoms or genuine medical problem?

Hi,

Good question, I'm finding it hard to understand when I need to see a doctor or not?

I think it is something we all need to learn, maybe ask our doctors then put the answers on a thread.

Red
    Last edited by reddevil; 11-03-09 at 19:41.

Re: How can you tell whether its anxiety symptoms or genuine medical problem?

I would say that if the pain interferes with everyday life then get it checked out.

If it comes and goes and is bearable then it could just be anxiety.

I think we know deep down when the pain isn't normal and we need to seek reassurance from the doc.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information