Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bp test

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

bp test

I DID My 24 hours bp test and result showed normal fine, below 140/90, no hypertension but doc still ask me to take 25mg antelolol for palpations. but these 3 daysi 've been having dizzy, giddiness, yesterday very bad giddy hit me, doc check my bp it raised to 160/100. but why the 24hr bp showed below 140/90? pls help. hat is wrong with me. i admit last few days igot stress, anxiety.

Re: bp test

blood pressure varies during the day.
    if you are anxious it will be higher.

Dont worry alba.

I am exactly the same, BP would rise with anxiety but over a 24 hour period my average was below 140/90.

Everyones BP rises with stress or exertion, our bodies are designed to do this.

It is only a problem when we stay above 140/90 for long periods.

TC

Jaco

I dont understand how anxiety can have an effect on bp making it rise as I am sure I am one of the most anxious people there are and yet my bp is always lower than 100/60 usually 90/60 and I am also sure the citalopram I am taking is effecting it as I keep feeling dizzy when I stand up from sitting down and when I am walking about.
    Citalopram and me have fallen out at the moment! It was my bestest friend 2 weeks ago!
    I am thinking of buying a blood pressure monitor to keep a check on it. They are not that expensive to buy.
    Last edited by PoppyC; 16-04-09 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppyC View Post
    I dont understand how anxiety can have an effect on bp making it rise as I am sure I am one of the most anxious people there are and yet my bp is always lower than 100/60 usually 90/60 and I am also sure the citalopram I am taking is effecting it as I keep feeling dizzy when I stand up from sitting down and when I am walking about.
    Citalopram and me have fallen out at the moment! It was my bestest friend 2 weeks ago!
    I am thinking of buying a blood pressure monitor to keep a check on it. They are not that expensive to buy.

No I can't understand that either Poppy because last September when I was really anxious over an health problem I had and I went to the doctors and he took my blood pressure and he said it was absolutely fine but earlier that year I had been on HRT and I went for a repeat prescription and the nurse took my bp and she said it was really high and I have never suffered with high blood pressure in my life. I wasn't anxious in the slightest cos I knew I was only seeing the nurse and having my blood pressure checked and yet it was very high. She took it again about a minute later and it was fine. How can it be high one minute and fine the next.

is 24hr bp test accurate?

Yes of course it is accurate - that is why they do it repeatedly over 24 hours rather than just one or two readings a day.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

what is wrong with you is that when your doctor checked your blood pressure you were anxious and/or had white coat syndrome. the valid readings are the ones of the 24 hours tape as they are a reflection of how you bp is usually

my bp is raised at the doctors but ok at home/in a 24 hours tape

"A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships."

and my gp docs keep on asking me to take 100mg atenolol, he say it will protect yr heart and brain, by the time i am 60yrs if i don't take this atentlol, i may have heart attack or stroke. i feel so scared he say that. he say this atenolol beta blockers is to protect yr heart and brain but in my heart i say its got side effect right? why ask me to take, do i really hv high bp, each time i go there, i am in panicky state, when i felt dizzy, then i run to see him, and he keep on saying i am dizzy becos i did not take tat atentolol. i am confuse again.he say don't trust that 24hr bp machine

Hi Alba

I would never go agains't what a GP said, I am not qualified to. However, I would possibly go see another Doc for a second opinion.

My understanding is, if there is no other health issues like diabetes, family history etc then an average of below 140/90 over a 24 hour period is not an issue, but the closer to 120/80 the better.

I have an average typically around 144/88 but at present (I am early 40's) my GP said this was not high enough to contemplate going on medication, but it should be monitored annually and revised.

He also said be more active, watch salt intake etc etc to lower it naturally.

He also said cut down on drinking, yer right

TC

Jaco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information