Thread: Simple Terms

Simple Terms

Can anyone explain to me how anxiety causes physical symtoms? At the moment i am experiencing neck ache which seems to trigger dizzzyness, strange feelings in face simular to numbness. But i also experience all kinds of other physical syptoms. Driving me crazy at moment!

Re: Simple Terms

I'm no doctor but I do meditate and as part of my practice I have to relax my face and jaw and neck. I always find it hard to believe how tense my face is even when I don't think it is. The point is that if you are anxious it is likely that your neck, face and jaw muscles are all tensed up and this can give you headaches.

To relieve the tension in your neck: let your shoulders drop from where they are now - you'll be amazed at how up near your ears they are when you are anxious. Next move onto your face let your jaw go slack, stop clenching your teeth and let your eyebrows drop from way up on your forehead. Do this as often as you remember and you'll find your headaches don't occur as often or at all.

Good luck!

Re: Simple Terms

@Kurukulla: I couldn't agree more. My anxiety causes tension in those places and whenever I've had a panic attack in the past it starts at my neck trembling with tension. I too use the methods you explain to ease the tension and it definitely helps. It also helps long term with exhaustion because the prolonged tense state also tires you out and loosening up more makes that happen less frequently.

Nechtan

Thread Information