Thread: Advice please!

Advice please!

Hi - As some of you regulars know - Have had panic attacks for 28 years - with a gap of no panic for about 18 years when my children were growing up. Now going through menopause and panic attacks back- Yesterday I made myself go on a ten minute bus trip to town (i panic about being trapped in lots of different places) and was fine - even went up escalators in shops and browsed but found queuing scary as I felt trapped.

My worry is when visiting a museum and you are several floors away from the exit - feeling hot, breathless and "gotta get out of here" feeling - what strategies can I use to help me remain in the place and lower the panic?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Wenjoy

Re: Advice please!

Hi

So many feel the same way as you and this is classic anxiety behaviour.
    I am sure anyone who has suffered from panic attacks could find there way out of a building blind folded because we know all the exit points before we walk in.

The exit point is not the issue
    The issue is the thoughts you are having

So your at the exit=no panic
    your 2 floors away from the exit=panic

Your mind is already thinking "panic panic panic" even before you get in the museum and all the what ifs are flooding your mind.
    Remember at any point you can get to the exit
    You are in control

I keep this in mind at all times
    I am not trapped and I can leave or just go out for a bit if I feel uneasy but the more you stay (Oh and well done on the bus journey and shopping trip as I know that was difficult for you) The easier it will get next time.

Whenever I feel this way, I sing a bit.
    Granted in public places people look at me like Im a bit off my rocker.

Also, If I am in a store where I can not see the exit, I may just step to the side of the aisle, look at the floor and count to ten. I know that If I can panic in a spot for ten seconds and stay there...That another ten seconds wont be a big deal...

So I Keep counting to ten over and over until the climax of panic has had its way with me.

Another thing I do, is talk to my attack, (I named My panic Alex...Its odd but It helps me visualize something that listens.) Anyway, when I feel it coming on, I just say.. "I know you like ruining my life, Alex, but Im busy right now, come back later." Then I visualize a man walking away. Most of the time this works =)

If you absolutely /Must/ leave, I suggest that you walk slowly out. I used to practically run out of the stores, and this made me even more freaked out. I found that when I take my time to walk out, Not only do I remain more calm...but I have an easier time controlling the panic before I actually get to the door...Therefore I am much more likely to head back into the place that made me panic.

I hope that any of this helps you =)

--Kayla

Thankyou both foryour kind thoughts and advice. I will try what you suggest - I try to say in my head "go on then - make me scared - Im not scared of you" and face it head on - not easy - and I think I worry what others think of me which seems to be a very common thing people have when they suffer as we do.
    Thankyou again and will keep you posted on how my weekend goes.
    Wenjoy x

Hi Wenjoy

I hope your weekend went well. My PA's/anxiety came back when I went into a chemically induced menopause and hot flushes/flashes make me feel as though I was going to panic as I used to get them pre-menopause. So a couple of really simple thiings, I always carry water and a hand held fan, the old fashioned type. If I cool myself down straight away it helps.

I also using TFT, (tapping) and if in a public place I pop into the loos and do it it's quick and portable Lol.

Good luck
    Mistral XX

this used to be a major problem for me too -i have no tips - sorry the only way i got through it was to just stay where i was - you know you feel the anxiety rising but you dont run, you stay, and it goes down - but i did remind myself i wasnt trapped at all - so i guess that is a tip? dont know but if you are achieving what you are whilst menopausal, i think you should give yourself a break and feel very proud of what you are doing - stay positive and youll do the things you want to - anxiety and panics all the same wherever you feel it and ultimately you arent trapped anywhere anyhow

Thankyou for your kind replies - at least its sunny today which lifts the spirits a bit !! !Wenjoy x

Thread Information