Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have actually had enough of doctors

I have actually had enough of doctors

They dont have a clue how to deal with panic attack sufferes. All they do is probably type on their computer 'panic attack and anxiety' See what drugs come up, write me a prescription and hope to be done with me.

Just got home from having my 2nd ECG and yeah same as the last one heart racing which I could have predicted.

He basicly forced me to take tablets. I said I dont want medication as I have told the doctors for the past 5 or 6 visits I have been there and today I said I dont want them and he said well you have to becuase there isnt nothing esle.

I told him I have read that tablets do not cure panic only help it for periods of time and he told me thats a load of rubbish.

He said make an appointment in 2 weeks but I really dont see the point. Nothing ever gets done I just want to be put on CBT to give it a try. Im considering going private as Im at my wits end with the doctors Im seing

Re: I have actually had enough of doctors

GPs are a lottery. I went through a few before I finally got one who was understanding. That was luck though as he only just started when I got him at the end of all the others. Its sometimes worth just asking for a diffrerent doctor when you make an appointment to see if they are more understanding.

Nechtan

sorry if their are any good doctors out their reading this. There are lots of posters up in doctors surgeries these days promoting understanding of mental illness but I truly believe you cannot understand it fully until you've been there.

You are right GP's just tend to 'consult the book' they dont care when we are worried about side effects because their not the ones who have to experience them.

I suppose in their view each human body is a machine and as anxiety represents no physical danger to your machine body they are not too bothered what happens. Your not going to drop dead no matter how anxious you feel so they are not bothered. Regardless of how much suffering it causes you mentally- unfortunately being an anxiety sufferer you are unlikely to develop a more serious mental illness (even though it often feels like it) as such you represent a low risk to both yourself and the general public so the docs basically just want to get rid of you.

Regardless of how unplesant (and some are really awfull) the side effects can be fromtaking medication its very very unlikely to kill you so again they just dish them out - its chepaer than CBT.

my first GP put me on cypralex even though I presented at the surgery with servere panick attacks i actually passed out while I was their. I said that I did not want to take the medication as SSRI's can make anxiety worse when you first take them. He said that was rubbish and i should go home and give them a go. took them for two days and was proptly admitted to the locak cardiac ward as I had a very bad reaction to them I spent nearly a week in hospital and I've never really been right since.

There is such a long waiting list for CBT in my area (18 months that I've given up waiting and have turned to self help books instead perhaps thats a route you could try) ot changing GP's may help but in my experience as soon as anxiety is mentioned they arenot interested in any physical symtoms you may have as they can be attributed to anxiety.

An anxiety sufferer since 29/01/2008 - never giving up even if the way forward sometimes looks like the way backwards.

I had a great Doctor.He,s passed away now.But he seriously did try to help me.You know how it is though.I spent five years telling him he was lying to me!!Realised eventually he was right.Dr iqubal.Lovely guy.Different breed alltogether the Doctors now.So i hear anyway.I haven,t been in eight years.

I agree GPs are 'one-tracked minds' They've become more like robots. They don't listen properly look at the computer screen and write a prescription out before you've finished speaking.They are busy which cuts the time down on how long you can talk to them. but they are 'budget controlled' aswell like everywhere these days(Targets) I am losing faith. My wonderful GP who was so knowledgable has retired.Everyone misses him.He knew exactly what was wrong and how to treat things. ( a dying race) I asked at the Doctor weeks ago if my earache,headaches, trembling.hot flushes ,generally feeling ill etc could be my tooth.I had exactly the same last year to be told definately NO.
    Well, dentist x-rayed tooth for the 2nd time and have infection, on strong antibiotics and having it extracted next week.(a family member had septicaemia from a tooth so I always think of that when I don't get better from things) Anyway good luck I think it's a case of pestering and not giving up . It's us that feel bad lv angel

I also feel like you. I took myself of tablets prescribed by my gp as they just made me feel depressed. I went to see my GP monday as felt panic still and he prescibed MIRTAZAPINE but im too scared to take them as the side effects sound awful.... Ive contact a wellbeing clinic today and im willing to try anything but not DRUGS....

Hi

I really dont like taking medication as for me it doesn't work. The side efects and withdrawral symptoms acctually make things worse. I have been put on over 20 different ones in the past. Now i have said NO to meds. Being persistant has worked and now the docs understand that i want to get better without drugs.

CBT is really helpful in addressing what is causing the anxiety but its hard work. You have to face your fears and situations that make you feel anxious and work through the toughts that you are having. This can be done by yourself though while you are waiting to get to see someone. Im sure there are lots of CBT worksheets and info avaliable online. Dont give up
    Take care
    blackie

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

“True bravery is shown by performing without witness what one might be capable of doing before all the world

I totally agree drugs just make me feel like my mind and body is out of control. Since ive stopped the meds the panic attacks have not gone away but i dont feel so depressed im just fed up with it more than anything. Im awaiting CBT and im doing self help books . they are okay but working with someone on CBT will be better. I found this website forum the best thing so far I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am determined to beat this and lead a relatively normal life again. Just to be able to go out for lunch would be such a break through. Fingers crossed it wont be to long.

Thanks for all the words. Its nice and reassuring to ase other people feeling the same way about something I do.

Same as mickh555, There was one real good doctor at my surgery but tragically he diagnosed a young child with flu when it was something more serious and the child died. The doctor took his own life as he couldnt live with himself. Such a shame as he was easily the best and most understanding doctor there.

Going to make an appointment tomorrow see if I can see someone else, Ive already seen 3 different doctors there lol, They'll be fed up of me soon ha

sMINT

Yes it really is a lottery with gp's. They do seem to take anxiety very lightly in my opinion. I have a really good doctor now and I intend to keep him. That was so sad about your other doctor, very tragic.

If your symptoms like racing heart are worrying you badly then this just makes panics worse - the knock on effect. You worry about heart racing and then you start getting other symptoms. Racing heart is awful I had it badly. The doctor wants to make you feel better, that's his job and so he would probably prescribe a beta blocker like Propranalol which would slow down the heartbeat.

Thing is, if you really really don't want to take medication you don't have to. No one can force you.

As someone else said the waiting lists for CBT are very long and you may have to wait ages. Cbt is no magic wand, it takes a great deal of hard work but a lot of people benefit greatly from it. If you can afford to go private then that's what I'd do.

Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information