Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anybody found exercise helpful?

has anybody found exercise helpful?

I am having my 2nd instalement of panic attacks had them 5 years ago for 6 months and they never really went but now they are back, Is it true that exercise helps?

Re: has anybody found exercise helpful?

I've had panic attacks for 19 years, however i used to excercise alot and in them years that i did excercise i never suffered not even with anx.........now you'd think common sense would tell me to get back excercising and i will.............but need to give up smoking first.

I think healthy eating and excercise are so important, i just need to get my backside into gear and change my lifestyle again.

di xx

yeah i go running and ride my bike on a regular basis it really does help

yeah i agree being active helps - mine has slipped in the last 6 months and i feel worse - so i am going to start working harder - i have got lazy and im sleeping really bad so i think an extra push will help - but i also like walking the dogs and i think its very important not to soley rely on exercise - but it is well known that it plays a massive part in keeping a person well and sane

I think it helps your confidence and self esteem as well as the obvious health benefits.

I am just patting myself on the back, as I have been for a very long, very remote and arduous walk. This is after having the day from hell yesterday when I had a complete wobbler, and although it was tough I now feel great.....

I think the thing to do is to pace yourself, I was very fit once and it frustrates me that when I am anxious I can't do the things that I once did, although I really don't know why I can't, but that's another point. Anyway I have learned to do what I can when I can and if it means walking 50 paces and resting for 5 minutes then that's what I do. Just don't give up if it seem hard to begin with.

Watch out Everest here I come, that's if I can get over my fear of flying !

Mistral XX

Yes - I do pilates which I find really helps. I am going to get back playing badminton so I can eat cream cakes and not feel guilty. And swimming is good cos you have to focus on breathing. Even just brisk walking helps me.

Funny you should mention exercise. I was talking to someone recently (a professional) about depression and low mood and anx blah blah. She was asking me if I do any exercise. I said I did, that I walked about a mile a day with my dog. She told me that was no good. She said you have to do something more aerobic to get the heart pounding.

I do have an exercise bike and one of these trampet bouncer things so I could do a little workout - trouble is I can't seem to motivate myself to do it. I know if I do and I make it a habit then I would do it each day.

This person was telling me (I'm sure we all know this) that aerobic exercise has been proved to as effective as an anti depresant. I so must have a go. Also I could shift a bit of this weight I've gained lol.

Hard one for me to comment on as for 17 years i went to gym played fives badminton tennis weights the lot and still developed anxiety with what life was thowing at ,me .
    It got to stage nothing and i mean nothing tired me out 2 hours on treadmills and still wanting to do weights and back at night for more but realising now adrenalin was pouring through me day and night this might sound daft but it was only time i got some inner peace
    But previously for years it was great; training hard and your on cloud nine afterwards and so relaxed so i would recommend it 100% for anxiety and panic attacks and one day i will get guts up and return (still a mental block for me so far as reminds me of bad times)but for you mozzy im sure would do trick good luck

Hi Mozzy,

It definitely did the trick with me had been suffering with panic attacks then decided to join the Gym and have not had one since

thanks for your replies. im going to start excerising and hope it helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information