Thread: Endoscopy - has anyone had one?

Unhappy Endoscopy - has anyone had one?

I have got to have an endoscopy next week (not sure what day, I made hubby open the letter and do not want telling till day before).

As you can probably gather I am scared

Anyone had this recently??? Experiences please!

Thank you in advance x

Re: Endoscopy - has anyone had one?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura xx View Post
    I have got to have an endoscopy next week (not sure what day, I made hubby open the letter and do not want telling till day before).

As you can probably gather I am scared

Anyone had this recently??? Experiences please!

Thank you in advance x
    As they are both referred to as endoscopies which are you having the one that goes up or down?

I have had both and they were OK. I was awake and alert for the colonoscopy so I was able to watch it on the monitor. It took about 20 minutes, it was very interesting.

For the gastroscopy I had a throat spray.

Please don't worry every thing will be fine

I suffer from IBS and have diverticular disease (a family complaint)

Hi, it is the one that goes down the throat. I am soooo nervous having anything done so any reassurance would be great!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Laura xx View Post
    Hi, it is the one that goes down the throat. I am soooo nervous having anything done so any reassurance would be great!

Thank you
    I had a throat spray but you can have sedation.

Hi Laura,

I am having one done in a couple of hours time. I'm very nervous too but then again I am nervous about any kind of invasive medical procedure. I am having sedation and I will come back and let you know how it goes.....

I will be thinking of you - please come back and let me know how you get on x

I will be thinking of you Laura xx I had one done with sadation and i can honestly say after about 2 minutes i didn't know a thing....and i'm the biggest baby!!!

Let us know how it goes.

Hugs

Trish x

Laura

We have a whole forum dedicated to this procedure as well so if you want to read more then go to :

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=73

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Laura,

I am back from the endoscopy and safe and sound It really was a piece of cake and my anxiety was for nothing

I don't know how different things are in the UK as I am in Australia but this was my experience:

I spoke to the anaesthetist prior to the procedure and asked him if I would have to consciously swallow the tube. He told me No, that is the old way they used to do it and that I would be completely 'out'. I was given a drug called Propofol which he described as a light general or a heavy sedative.

I went into the procedure room, they took my BP, the anaethetist put the needle in the back of my hand while he was taking my mind off of things with general chit chat (he knew I was very nervous). Then they asked me to turn on my left side, propped me up with a pillow behind my back and said goodnight and that was it! Next thing I knew I heard a gentle female voice saying my name and I was in recovery! As easy as that!

I was a little nervous about the general but it is not as bad as one full one I had before. I have been drowsy all day and very minimally dizzyish, more a vague sort of feeling but I am relaxed and happy. Following the procedure I had a mild stomach ache (they took about 10 biopsy's apparently), more of a slightly bruised feeling (nothing bad or worrisome at all) and a mild sore throat, sort of like when you are coming down with a cold. It hurts a little to swallow food but it is really mild.

I have to wait for results but apparantly I have a very small sliding hiatus hernia in the oesophagus and some gastritis which accounts for the awful stomach burning I get.

I hope this allays your fears somewhat. I promise it was not bad at all. All the best to you, good luck (you won't need it) and don't worry too much, I know easier said than done.

Thread Information