Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help - Citalopram and some frightening symptoms

Re: Please help - Citalopram and some frightening symptoms

Hey, this is a good idea.. its like a diary. I'm on citalopram as well ans I have to say apart from feeling nauseous for a few weeks I've had no serious side effects. People react differently to different drugs though.

Day 41
    * Mood fluctuates between highly positive and somewhat depressed

Day 42

* Mood stabilises somewhat

I have been using MIND and the Samaritans in order to stop my positive mood turning into a downer. Their support has been very useful to me.

I am finding that my recovery is going through "up and down" stages. I accept that this is the case and it's gonna be tough, and by accepting it I find that I am no longer afraid.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hey not posted in awhile so thought i'd check back.

Im coming upto my second week on Citalopram, most the side effects have gone for me and the medication seems to be working, no longer feeling depressed or anxious (apart from occasions i feel a little anxious)

My main thing is that ive been having the freakiest dreams ive ever had in my life. They arent particulally scary, just really really f**king wierd. Feels like im actually there instead of it being like a hazy vision.

This could be withdrawel from smoking cannabis for like 5 years though too.

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Hi Thomson, I haven't really had citalopram dreams, but I often have vivid and bizarre dreams anyway lol. I learned years ago that dreams are just by-products of the things we think and experience.

I wonder if anyone can help me. As I said in this thread, I used to have strong "surges" of what felt like cold liquid or poison in the sides of my brain before a major anxiety or depression attack. I still occasionally get them before a downer. They are very weak now though, I barely even notice them.

Does anyone think I am experiencing "brain zaps" or do I need to see my doctor about this? Surely I should not be physically able to feel a downer coming on? This is probably the last health-related anxiety I still have. I hope someone can help me with this.

You would definately know if you were having a brain zap Poet!
    Its your anxiety creating symptoms for you to take notice of! It definately dont like being ignored,thats for sure.My advice is : pay no attention and show the little beast the door , TAKE CARE, and have a good w/e. Sue

Thanks, that is reassuring. I'll still speak to my doctor about it when I get my next prescription as I've never heard of anyone else experiencing this and I would like peace of mind.

I've been using music to soothe myself through moments where I felt fear or negativity returning. I am now in a very comfortable and enjoyable routine with this and it has helped me a lot.

I've been out most of the day at a barbecue. When I got home I spent a lot of time with my family then went out onto the back garden to clean my bike (which I've rarely bothered to do in nearly 2 years) then sit on our swing chair reading my favourite book. I listened to my mp3 player on a very low volume which really helped to put me at ease. I feel like I'm driving my fears back day by day.

Day 43
    * Mood remains stable throughout day; it is now much easier to distract myself from negative thoughts and feelings.
    * Appetite is back to normal.
    * Inositol seems to start taking effect.

Day 44
    * Mood remains positive for the entire day -- just a little bit of morning anxiety which was dealt with fairly quickly.
    * Now in a "distraction" routine which is very helpful and brings me a lot of relief.
    * Motivation starts to return.
    * Appetite is increased - feel "hunger pangs" occasionally which feel like the pangs I get when my blood sugar is low e.g. if I've skipped a meal or gone too long without food.

Hi

Would you let me know what your Doctor says about brain zaps as it would be interesting as I get them all the time.

Thank you

Sharona

Ok but it won't be until the end of this week or the start of next week

I've been in a buzzing, happy mood for the first half of the day, but I realise that I've spent the last few days ignoring my problems. I needed time out to "heal" myself. But now it's time to start facing up to reality. Facing things again has brought my mood down a bit and I had a reasonably positive meeting with one of the MIND staff today.

With hindsight I wish I had waited until counselling this Friday cos I feel that I have brought myself back down to earth too early. I should have allowed myself to enjoy a few more days of freedom. Ah well, it's done now, I'll just have to deal with it!

Days 45-46
    * Moods more or less stable; anxiety and depression are under control.
    * Feeling ready to start facing up to things (but not particularly wanting to!).

The counselling starts in 2 days. God I can't believe it is almost time to start. Two weeks ago I felt lost and hopeless at the thought of having to spend 2 weeks waiting for counselling to start.

In that time, I have spoken to Samaritans, I've visted Mind several times and I have started to open up to friends. My anxiety and depression have been reigned in so that they no longer dominate my thoughts all the time. I've started some of my hobbies again (I've even started a new one!) and I've got a date next week!

What a difference 14 days can make when you are determined to change.

I phoned my counsellor to confirm the booking and she said I am not restricted to just 6 sessions -- although the majority of her clients are able to go it alone after that time. If I need further support she will provide it.

I can't tell you what a relief this is.

I get frightened when I think of everything that's to come. Then I remember what I've been through. I haven't just survived my anxiety, I have torn my way through it with all guns blazing and yelling "For England!" at the top of my voice

Hi, just to let you know I agree with the others, I was given citalopram 2 years ago and I was started on 10 and worked up to 40.
    I felt a bit odd when I first started taking them and like you I was unsure whether it was a panic attack or the meds. Things settled down a little after about 2 weeks.
    I stayed on citalopram for about 9 months and then they changed my meds.
    As time went on I realised that some of my symptoms I put down to side effects were actually part of my illness and nothing to do with the drugs.
    It can be scary starting a drug (even if you have used it in the past) I hope things settle down for you.
    lots of luck
    Maz

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information