Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help - Citalopram and some frightening symptoms

Re: Please help - Citalopram and some frightening symptoms

Update: been 40 minutes since I took the tablet, no side effects to report. I know it's a bit early to be sounding the all clear but I was in a right state by this time yesterday, so hopefully this means I'll be ok tonight

EDIT: Been well over an hour and I feel completely fine, I nearly pooed my pants for nothing it seems!
    Last edited by NoPoet; 20-03-09 at 22:39. Reason: Updating.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPoet View Post
    Update: been 40 minutes since I took the tablet, no side effects to report. I know it's a bit early to be sounding the all clear but I was in a right state by this time yesterday, so hopefully this means I'll be ok tonight

EDIT: Been well over an hour and I feel completely fine, I nearly pooed my pants for nothing it seems!
    Hi Psycho,

Sorry to hear what happened last night after your combo of drugs and am so glad you are ok so far tonight. Your last comment make me chuckle, nearly pooing your pants. That is the kinda thing I would say, but it isn't funny when you think you are having a bad reaction to meds. I am always scared to take new meds but usually it is irrational. I took Citalopram for a while with no major side effects, sometimes you can feel a little worse before you start to feel the benefits from them but stick it out if you can tolerate them OK. I hope they help.

Freaky

Thank you

When I finally went to bed I did feel a bit funny, but nowhere near as severe as the first night, and I managed to get about 7 hours sleep for the first time in days

I woke up feeling tired and anxious as usual but I have been occupied this morning so I don't feel too bad. I am sure I can feel the drug trying to work: I feel a bit woozy, shaky and anxious, but it is tolerable.

I should point out that I have lost more than half a stone in the last two weeks because my appetite has fallen to almost zero. Will this drug help me get my appetite back? I feel weak and shaky sometimes (usually goes off if I sit or lie down) and I think it's because I'm not eating enough and/or because I don't get much exercise now.

I was made redundant at the end of last year and I've got all the time in the world to worry about my symptoms!! That must make them 10 times worse!

UPDATE
    Been out with a friend for lunch and managed to eat quite a bit. I still feel very anxious but am trying to control my thoughts and I have had some success. I'm off out again tonight for a few hours for a lad's night in. I cannot over-emphasise how much it helps to spend time away from home with friends. Hopefully this advice will encourage others not to withdraw from their friends.
    Last edited by NoPoet; 21-03-09 at 15:22.

Well it's day three in the "big bother" house and I have decided to cut my dose down to 10mg. My anxiety has become severe and I am feeling increased depression since starting on citalopram.

I am not able to properly relax any more. Most days I was able to chill out after a good day with my family and friends, but now I feel nervous all the time. It's definitely got worse in the last couple of days.

I woke up at 4.30am this morning in a panic. I felt paralysed and had to force myself to move. I wasn't able to get back to sleep as I was so anxious! I'm absolutely knackered!

I felt like I was struggling to breathe but that must have been a bad case of hyperventilation, as I've been at a car boot sale all day with my mates and I didn't suffer lung failure! At least I'm still able to go out and do things, even if my ability to relax has disappeared!

Why can't I control my anxiety any more!!

Poet..............

You've just started on 20mg Citalapram - they aint smarties lolxx The side effects are making the anx worse at the mo that's why I suggested 10mg for a week.

You did so well going out with your friend for lunch, give yourself some self praise for that because I know that wouldn't have been easy for you the way you're feeling.

Whenever I first start meds I feel literally hungover in the mornings and it's a dreadful feeling, you feel like you are the walking dead. Lethargy and weakness are part of side effects anyway.

When anxiety is high early morning waking is very very common. When this happens, get up and make a cup of tea. I know how it feels cos last year I would wake in panic about that time of the morning and I would sit on the end of the bed just not knowing what to do or where to go with the anxiety.

I have to tell you I had very bad breathing problems with Citalapram I was hyperventilating and I had that awful thing where you cant take a deep breath in. Try some deep breathing exercises. First one to try - take a deep breath in and hold it for a count of four breathe out as slowly as you can for a count of about 6 if you can. Actually that isn't easy when you're that anxious. Try blowing out - just blow all the air out of your lungs - t his should make you automatically take a breath in. Also just hold your breath for as long as you can. It will make your heart beat fast but it will get the breathing back to a normal rythm.

You can't control your anxiety because we can't. Let it take over. Just tell it to do what it wants.

When you are h ighly anxious the first thing to go is the appetite, you won't feel like eating at all - food doesn't even enter the mind. If you are that bad and just can't make yourself eat you must buy some Complan and drink that throughout the day.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS Oh I can defo talk the talk but often have trouble walking the walk lol.

I started on 20mg of Citalopram six wks ago, the first few days i experienced some stomach pain which can be one of the side effects, i also experienced an increase in anxiety/panic attacks and felt dreadful so i reduced the dose to 10mg, it took a good 4 wks of persevering but i have started to feel better and have not had such severe anxiety/panic...

I took my 4th dose yesterday. I realise I am not giving it much of a chance to work, but it's hard to get through.

I cut down to 10mg last night hoping to reduce the side effects.

In some ways it worked. I woke up twice during the night but was able to talk myself out of panic attacks on both occasions (hooray!).

Then when I woke up "properly" at 6am (aargh!!) I had a massive, paralysing panic attack again, which I could not come out of, and I couldn't go back to sleep. I still feel anxious and trembling now but I am improving a bit.

It's probably the lack of sleep that is making things worse. I had a long day yesterday, I did a car boot sale and celebrated mothers' day with my family and was up for almost 19 hours straight. I used to love falling asleep, now I am dreading it cos I feel like crap every morning!

How long on average do people find their side effects last?

They really dont last too long...although it feels like forever at the time I know! Mine improved about half way through the 2nd week but I nearly didnt get past day 3 it was that bad, so glad I did though they have turned my life round and thats no exaggeration.

remember you are adding a new drug to your system, give your body a chance to accept it and hopefully you will be reaping the rewards.

Hope things get better for you soon

x

Thanks Snowdrop I'm nearly 30 and I need more reassurance than a kid!!

My mood has improved vastly since this morning and I find myself daring to hope the pills are starting to work. I know they won't cure my problems completely -- I'm running away from something and I am gonna have to face it this week! That won't be fun!

Hallo Poet

Er can I slap your wrist??? You did a bootsale and celebrated Mothers Day with family. Hey, do you realise how good that is!!! How did you feel at the bootsale and spending the day with the family??? Still highly anxious or not?? If you didn't then I have to tell you that you are doing very well indeed.

Now, you naughty little 30 year old - keep telling yourself how well you are doing with all these things you manage. Believe me you are doing great. When people are in the grips of high anxiety I can assure you they can't do these things and if they do it's like torture. Consider yourself told off lol.

The side effects of the Citalapram won't last long don't worry, two weeks or thereabouts. You will be alright. Early morning waking is common and a lot of people wake at about 4 am.

You take great care x

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information